This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7393 / 50°44'21"N
Longitude: -4.0018 / 4°0'6"W
OS Eastings: 258849
OS Northings: 95214
OS Grid: SX588952
Mapcode National: GBR Q2.GPWC
Mapcode Global: FRA 27H4.4T1
Entry Name: Chapel of St James
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93365
Location: Okehampton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Okehampton
Built-Up Area: Okehampton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Okehampton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Chapel of St James
SX5995 1/5 5.2.52
C15 west tower. Nave and chancel in one rebuilt in 1862.
Perpendicular west tower built of dressed granite in 3 stages with setback buttresses
and polygonal north-east stair turret with battlements. Embattled parapet and
obelisk pinnacles. Bell openings with two 4-centred arch lights. Three-light west
window with reticulated tracery over moulded doorway with 2-centre arch.
The Victorian nave and chancel built of Delabole Mate with granite dressings and slate
roof. Plain cusped lancets, 2-light on south side. Three-light east window with
interjecting glazing bars.
Interior: blocked 3-bay north arcade with octagonal granite piers. Small C19 wooden
gallery at the west end.
Pulpit and reader's desk made up from circa C16/17 carved woodwork. Old bench ends
and fragments of tracery, probably from screen, on south wall. Reused circa C18
twisted balusters in late C19 altar rail.
Listing NGR: SX5884995214
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings