This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7486 / 50°44'54"N
Longitude: -3.9109 / 3°54'39"W
OS Eastings: 265283
OS Northings: 96070
OS Grid: SX652960
Mapcode National: GBR Q7.735D
Mapcode Global: FRA 27P3.J5R
Plus Code: 9C2RP3XQ+CJ
Entry Name: Woodball Cottages
Listing Date: 4 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106022
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94972
Location: South Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
Civil Parish: South Tawton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: South Tawton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 69 NE
1-3 Woodball Cottages
(Formerly listed as Wood Cottages)
Row of 3 cottages. Circa 1900-1905, probably by Dan Gibson, architect of Wood House
(q.v.). Plastered walls, probably stone rubble, maybe brick; stone rubble or brick
stacks with plastered chimneyshafts; slate roof.
Plan: row of 3 cottages facing south, each with an identical plan, L-shaped in plan.
Each has a front entrance on the left side and has 2 rooms, one behind the other,
those sharing a right-end stack (thus the right end cottage has a projecting gable-
end stack). In each case the rear room occupies a rear block projecting at right
angles. All 3 are 2 storeys.
Exterior: each cottage has the same regular 2-window front, but only the right one
has its original casements with glazing bars. Each has a doorway on the right end
under a round-headed arch (again only the right one has its original plank door).
Alongside a 4-light casement and of the 2 first floor windows the right one is a
gabled dormer. The doors and windows have plain slate dripcourses over. The main
block roof is gable-ended to right and hipped to left.
Interiors not inspected.
These cottages are built in the same style as nearby Wood House (q.v.) and were
presumably built for estate labourers as part of the 1900-1905 rebuilding of the big
house along with Thomas Mawson's landscaping of the grounds.
Listing NGR: SX6528396070
Other nearby listed buildings