This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7113 / 50°42'40"N
Longitude: -3.8754 / 3°52'31"W
OS Eastings: 267688
OS Northings: 91863
OS Grid: SX676918
Mapcode National: GBR Q9.PD8K
Mapcode Global: FRA 27S6.621
Entry Name: Middle Gooseford Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106055
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94948
Location: South Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
Civil Parish: South Tawton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: South Tawton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 69 SE SOUTH TAWTON
4/154 Middle Gooseford Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probably C17, maybe earlier, thoroughly renovated circa 1920. Plastered
granite rubble, maybe with cob; stone rubble stacks, 2 of them with granite ashlar
chimneyshafts; thatch roof.
Plan and development: 4-room-and-through-passage plan house built down a gentle
hillslope facing south-east. Small unheated room, probably a dairy, uphill at the
right (north-eastern) end. Inner room has an axial stack backing onto the dairy.
Hall has an axial stack backing onto the passage. Service end room has projecting
gable-end stack. Since no internal inspection was available at the time of this
survey it is not possible to outline the historic development of the house here.
Nevertheless it seems likely that the original house was some form of open hall-
house. It is tempting to interpret the house as a former Dartmoor longhouse but
there is no evidence for this. Now 2 storeys throughout.
Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 6-window front of circa 1920 casements except
for the ground floor hall window which is C19 and its outer lights contain
rectangular panes of leaded glass. Passage front doorway a little left of centre
contains a C19 fielded panel door behind a C20 gabled porch on rustic posts. Roof
Interior was not available for inspection at the time of this survey. According to
the owner it is mostly the result of the circa 1920 renovation; the fireplaces are
blocked and no carpentry detail is exposed. Some of the beams were removed circa
Listing NGR: SX6768891863
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings