History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clannaborough Farmhouse Including Garden Walls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Throwleigh, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7051 / 50°42'18"N

Longitude: -3.8972 / 3°53'50"W

OS Eastings: 266125

OS Northings: 91209

OS Grid: SX661912

Mapcode National: GBR Q8.HSS4

Mapcode Global: FRA 27Q6.X2Z

Entry Name: Clannaborough Farmhouse Including Garden Walls

Listing Date: 22 February 1967

Last Amended: 16 September 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1106134

English Heritage Legacy ID: 94735

Location: Throwleigh, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Throwleigh

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Throwleigh St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Throwleigh

Listing Text

SX 69 SE THROWLEIGH

1/204 Clannaborough Farmhouse including
- garden walls
22.2.67
GV II*

Farmhouse. Late C15 - early C16 with major later C16 and C17 improvements, (a major
early C17 refurbishing may be associated with a datestone of 1624 although the C18
dates do not seem to relate to major building works), modernised in late C19. The
oldest walls are plastered and this may include granite ashlar work, the rest are
granite stone rubble with large roughly-shaped quoins; granite stacks, the hall one
still with its original granite ashlar chimney shaft; thatch roof.
Plan and development: This is a large farmhouse with a long and complex structural
history. Future discoveries here may amend the following account. The house is
built facing south-east down the hillslope. Although the evidence has been lost it
seems likely that the original late medieval house was a 3-room-and-through-passage
Dartmoor longhouse with the inner room terraced into the uphill slope to left
(south-west) and the shippon at the downhill right end. At this time the house was
open to the roof and the hall served by an open hearth fire. Through the later C16
and C17 the house was enlarged as it was progressively floored and the chimneystacks
inserted. There was a major early C17 refurbishment, possibly associated with a
datestone of 1624. This involved the flooring of the hall and rebuilding of the
putative shippon end. The shippon was rebuilt slightly narrower than the rest of
the house. It comprised a kitchen with an axial stack backing onto a dairy at the
right end. Probably at the same time the inner room was converted to the parlour,
but later this end was extended to provide a narrow lobby (used as a cider store)
between the hall and parlour. In the late C19 the rear outshots were brought into
domestic use. There is some evidence of the former newel stair turret which
projected to rear at the lower end of the hall. The present stairs are a late C19
straight flight rising from the cider store/parlour end up across the site of the
former newel stair. Rear passage doorway is now blocked. Other rear service
outshots include a pump house behind the former dairy (converted to the kitchen in
the mid C20). Main house is 2 storeys.
Exterior: Irregular 5-window front of mostly C19 and C20 replacement casements,
mostly with glazing bars but the most recent without, and the oldest 2, to the hall
and first floor left end, with rectangular panes of leaded glass. The front passage
doorway is a little right of centre, just before the lower end narrows. It contains
a solid oak frame, the lintel with a narrow bead moulding and an old studded plank
door with oak lock housing and the top ledge is inscribed 1A 1777, maybe the date it
was put there. The hall window immediately left of the doorway, is contained in an
early C17 granite moulded embrasure with hoodmould in which the initials RD are
carved on the labels. Alongside to left is a complete early C17 4-light granite
window with chamfered mullions and king mullion and hood mould in which the initials
1A are carved on the labels. The date 1767 inscribed over the window (and maybe the
label initials) is secondary. The similar early C17 3-light window directly above
this one has an inscription on the head which is thought to be original; it is
inscribed 1624 flanked by the initials IC and NC (the 'N' the wrong way round). The
roof is gable-ended and the rear roof is carried down over the rear outshots. A
couple of the rear windows are flat-faced mullion casements containing rectangular
panes of old glass, maybe dating as early as the C19. The pump house behind the
former dairy contains a large granite trough and the rear doorway is now to the
former kitchen (now the dining room).
Interior is largely the result of the late C19 modernisation and most of joinery
dates from that time although some is C18. The later modernisations have covered
much of the ground floor structural carpentry with plaster. However in the hall
there are the early C17 cross and half beams, they are ovolo-moulded with runout
stops. The fireplace here may be a little earlier; it is large, built of granite
ashlar with a hollow-chamfered surround. The cider store has a plain soffit-
chamfered crossbeam and the partition between it and the present parlour interrupts
the early C17 front window. The parlour fireplace has a C20 grate. The C17 kitchen
(now the dining room) has a granite fireplace partly relined with C19 brick and
includes a side oven.
The roof contains the oldest apparent fabric; the section over the hall and inner
room. The trusses are some form of cruck (the lower sections are plastered over)
and have cambered collars. The whole roof including the butt purlins, common
rafters and underside of thatch is heavily smoke-blackened from the original open
hearth fire. The lower end early C17 roof is clean and carried on face-pegged
jointed cruck trusses augmented by slip tenons with halved dove-tail shaped lap-
jointed collars.
A strip of front garden which is also terraced into the hillslope to left is
enclosed by low granite rubble coping with low segmental ashlar coping.
Clannaborough farmhouse is a very important and attractive multiphase Dartmoor
farmhouse which has been little modernised since the late C19. Before the mid C20
conversion of the dairy to a kitchen this room contained water-fed granite troughs
which cooled the pans of clotted cream. Great care should be taken during any
alterations or modernisations lest C16, C17 or C18 features be disturbed.
Clannaborough is documented as Clanaburgh in 1498 and Clannaber in 1573.
Source: Devon SMR.

Listing NGR: SX6612591209

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.