This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6757 / 50°40'32"N
Longitude: -3.8969 / 3°53'48"W
OS Eastings: 266065
OS Northings: 87947
OS Grid: SX660879
Mapcode National: GBR Q8.KSTX
Mapcode Global: FRA 27Q9.3NL
Entry Name: South Creaber Farmhouse
Listing Date: 16 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106161
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94710
Location: Gidleigh, West Devon, Devon, TQ13
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Gidleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Gidleigh Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 68 NE GIDLEIGH
3/180 South Creaber Farmhouse
House, former farmhouse. Probably C16 origins with C17 improvements, modernised and
partly rebuilt circa 1920, some modernisation work of circa 1980. Granite stone
rubble including a section of large coursed blocks of granite ashlar, the rebuilt
service end is plastered; granite and brick stacks, the hall stack has its original
granite ashlar chimney shaft; slate roof (probably thatch before circa 1920).
Plan and development: 4-room plan house facing north-west and built down a gentle
slope. The uphill right end room (at the south-west end) is a kitchen and has a
gable end stack. The next room (right of centre) is a former dairy with a corridor
along the rear connecting the kitchen to the hall. The hall has an axial stack
backing onto the entrance hall which contains the staircase. At the left end is a
parlour with gable end stack. It is evidently a house with a long and complex
structural history. It was originally a 3-room-and-through-passage plan house and
is reputed to have been a Dartmoor longhouse. The section of ashlar work stops with
a straight join at the upper end of the dairy. The kitchen was probably added in
the mid C17. The entrance hall and left end was rebuilt circa 1920 replacing the
former through passage and shippon. Now 2 storeys throughout.
Exterior. Irregular 3-window front of C20 casements with glazing bars; the dairy
window was enlarged circa 1980. The right end is hidden behind a service wing
rebuilt circa 1980. Left of centre is the doorway in the position of the front
passage door which now lies behind a circa 1980 rubble porch with hipped roof. The
main roof is gable-ended. The rear garden front has an irregular 5-window front of
late C19 and C20 casements and including some circa 1920 horned 4-pane sashes. The
blocking of the rear passage door also shows in the plaster.
Interior. The oldest feature in the house is the hall fireplace; probably late C16-
early C17; granite ashlar with hollow-chamfered surround. The dairy and hall show
no carpentry details. The kitchen has a mid C17 soffit-chamfered and scroll-stopped
crossbeam but the fireplace here has been rebuilt. Since the C17 plan form is
preserved in the hall, dairy, kitchen section more of the early fabric may survive
behind later plaster. The lower end is a complete rebuild of circa 1920 and the
whole roof was replaced at the same time.
Listing NGR: SX6606587947
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings