This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6637 / 50°39'49"N
Longitude: -3.8714 / 3°52'17"W
OS Eastings: 267831
OS Northings: 86562
OS Grid: SX678865
Mapcode National: GBR Q9.SF8N
Mapcode Global: FRA 27SB.1L2
Plus Code: 9C2RM47H+FC
Entry Name: Yeo Farmhouse
Listing Date: 23 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106167
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94622
Location: Chagford, West Devon, Devon, TQ13
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Chagford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chagford St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Tagged with: Farmhouse
SX 68 NE CHAGFORD
3/93 Yeo Farmhouse
Farmhouse, perhaps former Dartmoor longhouse. Probably C16 or C17 origins but original
house appears to have been rebuilt on the old plan in 1842, according to date plaque.
By family tradition it was rebuilt after a fire. At the time however outshots were
built along the rear. Plastered granite; granite stacks with plastered brick and
granite ashlar chimney shafts; slate roof.
Plan and development: 11-room-and-through-passage plan house facing east-south-east,
say east, and built down a slight slope. The inner room is at the left (southern)
end and has an end stack with a winder stair alongside. The hall has an axial stack
backing onto the wide passage with present main stair to rear. The service end or
former shippon contains a kitchen with a rear lateral stack and there is a store at
the right (northern) end. According to family tradition this was a shippon before
1842. Outshots right across the back. Behind the inner room is the dairy, the
former cider store behind the hall is now converted to a bathroom, pump house to rear
of the passage, and behind the service end a coach house (now garage) with pigsties
behind. House is 2 storeys.
Exterior: Regular 4-window front of mostly C19 casements with glazing bars. A fifth
window on the right end would make it symmetrical. The front passage doorway is
roughly central and now contains a C20 door and gabled slate-roofed hood. Directly
above this is a datestone commemorating the 1842 rebuild. A doorway to the inner
room at the left end now contains a C20 French window and there is a plank door at
the right end to the store there. This roof is gable-ended and carried down to rear
over the outshots. The coach house/garage outshot also includes a row of 3 pigsties
facing backwards. Each has a low doorway with a feeding hatch alongside containing a
Interior has been little altered since the C19. Nowhere do earlier features show.
The fireplaces have C19 grates except for the large but plain granite kitchen
fireplace. No structural carpentry is exposed and all the joinery is C19. The roof
was not inspected but is reported to have a C20 replacement structure. There are
some interesting and rare features. The dairy outshot for instance is terraced into
the slope. Around the outer 2 sides is a granite ledge with a shallow channel in its
top. Water can be fed by an iron pipe from the nearby stream into the channel and
this was used to cool the cream pans. There is a drain and granite trough at the end
and there is still the original (and now uneven) brick floor. In the pump house
spring water is still drawn from a C19 pump and there are 2 large granite troughs.
Although the house was connected to mains electricity in 1986 the nearby mill (q.v.)
had provided hydro-electricity since 1893. By the front door there is still a wheel
for starting the dynamo (connected to the mill by an underground chain) and there is
the original voltmeter in the wall.
Although Yeo Farmhouse is essentially C19 it is a remarkably complete farmhouse with
nearly all its C19 fittings. The Perryman family have lived on the site since circa
1450. It is also important to regard this farmhouse along with the well-preserved
group of listed buildings associated with it such as the office and garden railings
(q.v.), mill (q.v.), smithy (q.v.), and the Old School House (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SX6786786562
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings