This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6718 / 50°40'18"N
Longitude: -3.8362 / 3°50'10"W
OS Eastings: 270341
OS Northings: 87405
OS Grid: SX703874
Mapcode National: GBR QB.Z47X
Mapcode Global: FRA 27V9.H95
Plus Code: 9C2RM5C7+PG
Entry Name: Chagford House Including Front Terrace
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106170
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94628
Location: Chagford, West Devon, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Chagford
Built-Up Area: Chagford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chagford St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
6/98 Chagford House including front
Small mansion. Circa 1820. Plastered granite rubble walls; granite rubble stacks,
some with plastered brick tops but the main chimney shafts are granite ashlar; slate
Plan: double depth plan house facing north-east. The principal rooms are those to
the centre and the right (north-western) end of the main block. Here there is a
large front and rear room either side of the spacious entrance hall and rear stair.
An axial stack between the right rooms serves back to back fireplaces. There is
another axial stack to left serving the rear room there and the front room has a
stack to left. Main block continued left (south-eastwards) with the front set back
very slightly from the main rooms. There are 2 small front rooms, the right one a
study with an axial stack in the wall between the two and the other with an end
stack. Service rooms to rear. Kitchen block with end stack projecting to rear left
of centre. 2 storeys with some attics.
Exterior: two 5-window front of mostly original 12-pane sashes. The 5-window section
is to the principal rooms adn broken forward a little and is symmetrically arranged
around the large central doorway. It contains double doors (panelled and part-glazed
with glazing bars), overlight with a geometric pattern of glazing bars with a double
set of margin panes and corner rosettes, fielded panel reveals, and flat-roofed
Tuscan porch with large turned granite outer columns and moulded timber architrave.
Plain projecting eaves and roof is hipped each end. Both ends have 3-window fronts
sof 12-pane sashes. The rear elevation has a large round-headed sash to the stairs
with Y-tracery glazing bars. A rear door below this is behind a possibly secondary
porch which continues and returns along the kitchen block as storage sheds. The
parlour to left of the back door has a double 12-pane sash divided by a plain granite
mullion. The kitchen block has a hipped roof. Along the inner side is a first floor
round-headed sash, a smaller version of the stair window. The outer side of the
kitchen block and service end of the main block partly enclose a small service
courtyard but again contain mostly 12-pane sashes although there are some ground
floor fixed pane windows protected by external iron bars.
Good interior is little modernised, although there is some secondary late C19
Jacobean/C17-style detail. The entrance hall is lined with panelling, tall full
height panels above the dado. Large geometric stair has an open string, slender
turned balusters, a moulded mahogany handrail and curtain step. The principal rooms
are all panelled in the same way. The left front parlour/dining room has an original
grey marble chimneypiece with console shaped fluted sides. The right front parlour
has a secondary timber bolection chimneypiece and panelled overmantel containing
portraits. Both have papier-mache ceilings, the former in Jacobean style, the
latter in Adams style. Much good joinery detail throughout.
The front terrace is fenced by a low open granite balustrade. The flat topped rail
is soffit-moulded and supported on a series of square king posts and between those
thinner balusters which are chamfered and very reminiscent of local C17 window
mullions. Along the top are a number of plain granite flower bowls.
Listing NGR: SX7033987403
Other nearby listed buildings