This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8653 / 50°51'55"N
Longitude: -3.3264 / 3°19'35"W
OS Eastings: 306750
OS Northings: 108146
OS Grid: ST067081
Mapcode National: GBR LQ.TYYT
Mapcode Global: FRA 36XT.9WW
Entry Name: Priesthall
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Last Amended: 15 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106504
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95764
Location: Kentisbeare, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Kentisbeare
Built-Up Area: Kentisbeare
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kentisbeare St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST OO NE KENTISBEARE PRIESTHILL, Kentisbeare
8/109 Priesthall(formerly listed as
- Old Priests Rouse)
Detached house; it was the medieval rectory but already divided into 5 cottages at
the time the 1681 terrier was drawn up. Roughcast cob and rubble; some dressed
sandstone; gable-end thatched roof.
Plan: 3 room through-passage plan house, the service end to the right of the
passage. Alcock and Laithwaite deduced that the original house was single-storeyed.
The service end first floor is jettied into the hall; and the inserted hall first
floor has been removed returning it to its original form. The small room above the
passage now forms a gallery. The inner room, still of 2 storeys, is served by a
rear newel stair. Service end heated by internal end stack, hall by front lateral
external stone stack; inner room and chamber above served by external end stack.
Exterior Front: Doorway to passage with ogee-headed wooden arch (a comparative
rarity in Devon), the door itself with rails, spear-headed strap hinges, and
studded. 4-light timber window to inner room, the light each with depressed head,
and probably C15. 2-light casmement window to chamfer above. C20 3-light window to
hall. Small diagonally-set window to service end. Rear: 2 first floor windows,
one under eyebrow eave. Hall window is the original, C15, 4-lights each trefoil
headed with top lights; a later 3-light casement has been fixed over the medieval
window to afford it protection.
Interior: those features noted by Alcock and Laithwaite survive and are discussed
more fully in their article, cited below. (1) 3 plank and muntin screens, 2 to
screens passage, the first between hall and inner room; (2) service end framed
partition; (3) fireplaces; that to the hall with roll moulded surround; that to the
service end with chamfered lintel; inner room fireplace with stone roll moulded
surround, that to the chamber above with chamfered wooden lintel and chamfered stone
jambs; (4) one jointed cruck truss at lower end of passage.
References: N.W. Alcock and M. Laithwaite, 'Medieval Houses in Devon and their
Modernisation', Medieval Archiaeology, 17, (1973), 112-14; W.A. Pantin, 'Medieval
Priests' Houses in South-West England', Medieval Archaeology, 3 (1957), 127-9; E.S.
Chalk, Kentisbeare and Blackborough, Devonshire Association Parachial histories,
Listing NGR: ST0674908146
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings