This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9156 / 50°54'56"N
Longitude: -3.2195 / 3°13'10"W
OS Eastings: 314367
OS Northings: 113608
OS Grid: ST143136
Mapcode National: GBR LW.QN5R
Mapcode Global: FRA 464P.9K7
Plus Code: 9C2RWQ8J+65
Entry Name: Culmbridge Manor
Listing Date: 15 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106519
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95693
Location: Hemyock, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15
Civil Parish: Hemyock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Hemyock St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 11 SW HEMYOCK
5/73 Culmbridge Manor
Farmhouse. Probably a mid C17 house extended in 1678. Roughcast rubble flint with
some cob; gable end slate roof. The development of the plan is slightly confused
by the presence of 2 through passages. That to the extreme left-hand end of the
house has an unusually small heated room to the left (possibly a truncated service
end), with the original hall to the right, the hall axial stack backing on to the
passage. The screen between the hall and the original inner room now divides the
hall from the second passage. To the right of this (divided from it by a cob and
rubble wall) is a large room heated by an end stack, and above it a chamber with the
dated plasterwork of 1678 : This is probably a late C17 rebuilding of the inner
room. A wing was added to the rear of the hall and served originally as a dairy.
Stacks with brick shafts. 2 storeys.
Exterior. Front: irregular 5-window range. All windows are late C20 including 2
half dormers. A conservatory occupies much of the front. The door to the left-hand
passage is studded. C20 extensions to rear.
Interior: Hall, approached from the left-hand passage by a door with rails forming
9 panels and fleur de lis strap hinges, probably C17. Fireplace with re-used lintel
and original chamfered Beer stone jambs. There was apparently a winder stair in the
recess to the left of this fireplace. Chamfered cross ceiling beam with step stop
and 2 bars. The plank and muntin screen to the higher end of the hall is
chamfered, stopped and mitred to both sides; the noteworthy survival in the C17
bench facing the hall fireplace, with turned legs : the seat of the bench, although
of considerable age, may not be original, but the bench is insitu; a bench of this
quality is rare. Higher-end room with deeply chamfered axial ceiling beam,
unstopped. Fireplace with Salcombe Regis stone jambs with scroll stops, the chamfer
running continuously along timber lintel. Higher-end chamber : central moulded
single-rib plaster roundel, and within this a husked roundel with central rosette.
3 plaster wall panels with CR monogram and crown, with a rose or thistle. A
strapwork panel bears the date 1678 and the initials HH. Other chamber with plaster
cyma reversa moulded cornices. Roof with straight principals.
Listing NGR: ST1436713608
Other nearby listed buildings