This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9171 / 50°55'1"N
Longitude: -3.1957 / 3°11'44"W
OS Eastings: 316040
OS Northings: 113752
OS Grid: ST160137
Mapcode National: GBR LX.QG68
Mapcode Global: FRA 466P.6TB
Plus Code: 9C2RWR83+RP
Entry Name: Searles
Listing Date: 15 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106552
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95671
Location: Clayhidon, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15
Civil Parish: Clayhidon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clayhidon St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 11 SE CLAYHIDON
Also known as French Nut Tree Cottage.
Detached house. Late C16 or early C17, and considerably altered. Random rubble
chert; hipped slate roof. The house has been so altered that it is difficult to
determine the original plan; 2 jointed cruck with collars that are both chamfered
and stopped suggests that it might be a fragment of a larger building, perhaps a
wing, for such high-quality roof carpentry would be unusual in a house as small as
the present. Right-hand end stack. 2 storeys.
Exterior: front: irregular fenestration; 2 half dormers and 2 C20 casement windows
to ground floor. Some masonry disturbance suggests some rebuilding on the left-hand
side, and the end elevation is mid C20.
Rear: leanto, with a single light window to the left of the doorway. The doorway,
possibly late C16, with chamfered jambs and cranked, pegged lintel.
Interior: left-hand room with 2 cross ceiling beams, chamfered with hollow step
stops, and a chamfered half beam near the present (rebuilt) end wall.
Roof with 2 jointed cruck trusses; the collars, set high, are chamfered with step
stops; trenched purlins; Alcock F2 type apex carpentry. The chamfered collars were
presumably visible in what was once a high status chamber, perhaps in a parlour
wing. The first local mention of the name Searles is in the will of John Searle of
Hemyock, d.1613, he may have built the house.
Listing NGR: ST1604013752
Other nearby listed buildings