This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9059 / 50°54'21"N
Longitude: -3.4175 / 3°25'3"W
OS Eastings: 300427
OS Northings: 112780
OS Grid: ST004127
Mapcode National: GBR LM.R61B
Mapcode Global: FRA 36QQ.4DL
Entry Name: Old Cordwents and Cordwents Cottage
Listing Date: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106644
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95385
Location: Halberton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Halberton
Built-Up Area: Halberton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Halberton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
HALBERTON LOWER TOWN, Halberton
ST 01 SW
2/199 Nos. 1 & 3 (Old Cordwents and
- Cordwents Cottage)
Pair of cottages. C15 or early C16 with later alterations. Roughcast cob, stone
footings, with some stone. Gabled-end thatched roof. Formerly a 3-room, through-
passage plan house open to the roof, the higher end to the left of the passage.
Front internal lateral stack, stone with brick shaft dated 1837, heats hall;
external end stack (now emerging from later lean-to) heats lower end. The inner
room unheated. 2 storeys.
Front: irregular fenestration; all windows with C19 or C20 casements; five 2- and 3-
light windows to first floor, 4 of them under eyebrow eaves, one (of 3-lights) with
8 leaded panes per light. One single light window, and four 2-lights to ground
floor. 2 doors, one to the former passage (which is now divided by a party wall
between nos. 1 and 3), the other inserted later. Lower end lean-to with (re-used)
3-light window with ovolo-moulded mullions and double-ovolo-moulded frame.
Rear: C19 and C20 casement windows, all of 2-lights. The building continues along
the same axis at the higher end in the form of a now-converted linhay with tallet,
weatherboarded to rear, and with one inserted window to the front.
Interior: a detailed description of the interior features of this building by N W
Alcock and C Hulland and a further discussion by Alcock and M Laithwaite are in
print. The jointed arches, stud and panel screens (2 to the through-passage and one
between hall and parlour) fireplaces and beams as described there, all remain in
situ. The roof space is still inaccessible. Nos. 1 and 3 Lower Town forms a good
example of a medieval house with low screens, that underwent modernisation in the
form of floor and stack insertion in circa 1550.
References: N W Alcock and C Hulland "Devonshire Farm Houses, part IV", Trans
Devonshire Association, 104 (1972), 49-53, with plan and-sections of cross-passage
screens; N W Alcock and M Laithwaite, "Medieval Houses in Devon and their
Modernisation", Medieval Archaeology, 17 (1973), 111
Note: this building was a Grade III listing and known as Cordwents Farmhouse; this
name now applies to a C20 dwelling which is not listed.
Listing NGR: ST0042712780
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings