This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2216 / 51°13'17"N
Longitude: -3.9087 / 3°54'31"W
OS Eastings: 266802
OS Northings: 148659
OS Grid: SS668486
Mapcode National: GBR KY.37M9
Mapcode Global: VH4M8.6KGF
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106778
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97090
Location: Martinhoe, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Martinhoe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Martinhoe St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 64 SE
4/112 Church of St. Martin
Parish Church. Late C13/early C14 chancel and possibly some of the fabric of the
tower and nave. Part of north wall of nave rebuilt in late Cl7. Vestry 1851.
Restored 1866-7 by S. S. Teulon when north aisle was added and south porch rebuilt.
Tower restored 1914.
Stone rubble, tower roughly coursed, with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with coped
gable ends and apex crosses.
West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle.
Small west tower of 2 stages, unbuttressed with embattled parapet. Narrow single-
light bell-openings with slate louvres on each face with additional taller light
beneath the north side bell-opening. 2 light lancet, mostly original stonework to
left of south porch which has pointed arched doorway with single chamfer terminating
in pyramid stops, thinner chamfer to pointed arched inner doorway. 3 windows to
right of 3, 2 and single trefoil-headed lights, that of 2 lights with most of its
original stonework. C19 east window of stepped triple lancets. Gable-ended vestry
has 2 light windows to east and west side with some reused early stonework. 2 C19 2
light lancets to north aisle.
Interior: largely complete C19 interior fittings. C19 waggon roof to chancel, arch-
braced trusses with queen struts to nave. North arcade of 3 bays with circular
piers and moulded capitals. Low depressed pointed tower arch with rough stone
Pulpit and chancel fittings brought from Kings Sutton, Northants. C13 trefoil-
headed piscina in east wall, C19 piscan to north wall. Panelled reredos and return
walls, with scallops motif to headrail. C19 altar table 3 panels wide with end
demi-panels, blind with cusped tracery to the heads. Communion rails with elaborate
quatrefoil tracery. C19 poppy head bench ends to the choir stalls. Chancel rail of
4 lights to each side, with embattled headrail and ogee tracery to the semi-circular
headed lights. C19 pulpit with 2 principal blind traceried facets to the drum. C19
nave seating. Font 1864 by Putsford of Barnstaple with elaborate stiff-leaf
Wall monuments North aisle, east end. Slate, to Margaret Blackmore (d.1683) above
reset stone slab to Rev. James Colley, Rector of Parracombe Church (d.1762) and to
Mary and his wife (d.1770). To left reset slate slab to John Jennings, late
minister of the parish (d. 1678). North aisle, west end, 2 wall monuments with
skull and hour glass motifs to the base of each to Prudence Partridge (d.1751) and
Mary Blackmore (d.1751) with accompanying verses.
Listing NGR: SS6680248659
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings