This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1771 / 51°10'37"N
Longitude: -3.9716 / 3°58'17"W
OS Eastings: 262275
OS Northings: 143831
OS Grid: SS622438
Mapcode National: GBR KV.63PH
Mapcode Global: VH4MF.3PP0
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97069
Location: Kentisbury, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Kentisbury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kentisbury St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 64 SW
5/93 Church of St. Thomas
Parish church. C15 or early C16 west tower, and fabric of nave walls and south
porch. Chancel rebuilt,north aisle added and church restored and nave reroofed in
1873-5 by C. Dolby of Abingdon.
Shale stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with apex crosses to the
West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle and south porch. Tall west tower of 3
stages. Rectangular stair turret on north side. Embattled parapet. Set back
buttresses with tablets decorated with two Tudor roses built into first stage of
each buttress. Tall Perpendicular transomed 2 light bell-openings on each side with
louvres except to west which has been blocked and a single straight-headed light
inserted. Tall windows of 2 round-arched lights to middle stage above perp style
mainly C19 west window of 4 lights with headmould and pointeed arched west doorway
with labelled hoodmould and moulded surround. C19 2 light pointed arched window the
quatrefoil traceriedhand to left of south porch. C15 porch with depressed pointed
arched doorway with Pevsner 'B' type moulded surround and replaced stiff leaf
capitals slate sundial above by John Berry dated 1762 and now niche over. C15
waggon roof with moulded ribs and purlins with carved bosses and end demi-bosses at
the intersections. C19 pointed arched windows to left, one of 3 lights to nave and
two of 2 light to chancel. 3 light east window with pointed arched corbelled
hoodmould. Pair of 2 narrow trefoil headed lights with plate tracery to north aisle
east end, 3 pointed arched windows of 2 lights to north side and tall 2 light window
to east end which has chimney pot with crenellated cap to the gable.
Interior: original C19 interior fittings largely intact and of high quality arch-
braced C19 roofs to nave and north aisle. The chancel waggon-roof is ceiled and
elaborately painted with stars, and panels of winged saints interspersed with
floriated panels etc.
C19 north corrider of 3 bays with short piers of 4 semi-circular half shafts,
moulded capitals and human head corbels to the outer lip of the arch. Unmoulded
virtually semi-circular headed tall tower arch. Pointed chancel arch with human
head corbels and triple cluster of engaged columns with moulded capitals.
Chancel Trefoil headed preserves to north and south walls. Stone reredos of 4 blind
trefoil-headed niches each side of marble surround to triptych scene painted on
leather. Altar table with 3 open panels to front with intersecting tracery.
Elaborate patterned tiled floor. C19 choir stalls, carved with running foliage.
The front benches with open traceried backs and fleur-de-lys bench end finials.
Nave Shoulder-headed doorway to rood loft stairs. Semi-circular timber drum to
pulpit on stone base, the drum pierced with 7 quatrefoils above trefoil headed
lights, with original paintwork intact. C19 nave seating. C19 font on stem of a
North aisle Elaborate chapel at east end dedicated to the Openshaw family and
relations of Thomas Openshaw, the rector responsible for founding the north aisle;
enclosed by timber parclose screens on two sides, 7 bays to south side, 4 bays and
central doorway on west side, with fleur-de-lys finials to the triangular heads of
the cusped lights and crenellated top rail. On north side is a sedilia of 5 bays
with trefoil-headed niches divided by marble colonnettes and with quatrefoils
containing shields in the spandrels. The inner arches of the windows lighting the
chapel spring from slender marble colonnettes with quatrefoil tracery above the
Wall monuments Nave, south side C17 slate tablet to Elizabeth Randal. Pair of C18
slate tablets giving 'An Exact Account' of all the Rectors of the parish since the
reign of Queen Elizabeth, also giving details concerning the building of the
Parsonage. C18 slate tablet to right with winged angels bust to head, skull, shield
and hour glass to base with inscription to members of Richards family, and C17 slate
tablet with inscription to Richard and Elizabeth Richards. At west end of nave late
C18 slate tablet on south side to members of Richards family and on north side early
C19 tablet to Charles Sweet, Rector and wife. Large stone slab below inscribed John
Stained Glass. C19 glazing complete of square-leaded panes with coloured margin
panes. East window by Moore of London, in memory of J. O. Openshaw (d.1861). North
aisle. Fine east window to James and Ann Pilling. North side, two windows, one to
James Openshaw (d.1857) and one to Frederick Loveband and Mary Smyth, 1894, by
Listing NGR: SS6227543831
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings