History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church (Dedication Unknown)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Loxbeare, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9342 / 50°56'3"N

Longitude: -3.5499 / 3°32'59"W

OS Eastings: 291183

OS Northings: 116115

OS Grid: SS911161

Mapcode National: GBR LF.PGGM

Mapcode Global: FRA 36GM.SZ6

Entry Name: Parish Church (Dedication Unknown)

Listing Date: 5 April 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1106929

English Heritage Legacy ID: 96752

Location: Loxbeare, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Loxbeare

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Loxbeare St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Stoodleigh

Listing Text

SS 91 NW LOXBEARE LOXBEARE

9/108 Parish Church (dedication unknown)

5.4.66
GV II*


Parish church. South doorway C12, tower possibly C12 or C13 in origin but much
remodelled and could be later, remainder of fabric probably early rather than late
medieval. Restoration of 1850 included Romanesque style chancel window and
rebuilding east and south walls; further restoration of 1896 by Harbottle Reed.
Stone rubble, ashlar masonry to tower, slate roof.
Plan: Small nave and chancel church with a south porch. C19 north-east vestry and a
squat tower, unexpectedly large on plan but-very short. Romanesque south doorway,
windows C19.
Exterior: 1850 round-headed Romanesque chancel window, splayed with shafts to the
interior; priest's doorway on the south side restored 1850; C19 square-headed south
windows with trefoil-headed lights; gabled 1850 north-east vestry with stack. The
north side of the nave is rendered with 1 3-light similar C19 window; south side of
nave with 1 1-light and 1 3-light C19 window. Odd 2-stage tower with a shallow
projecting north-east stair turret, a low parapet and evidence of considerable
rebuilding including part of a string course on the west face and a chamfered belfry
opening to left of centre. Chamfered rounded west doorway with pyramid stops; 2-
light possibly medieval Ham Hill west window with Tudor arched lights. Gabled south
porch with a 2-centred chamfered outer doorway with pyramid stops and a pair of circa
1860s iron gates with curved top rails. The porch has a plain plaster barrel ceiling
and a C12 inner doorway with a surviving outer order of zig-zags and the remnants of
zig-zag decoration on the tympanum. Square-headed doorway below the tympanum with a
keystone inscribed + AILMA/BEFOD/OMN/.
Interior: Plastered walls with some exposed masonry round the windows; chancel arch
formed by junction of chancel and nave roofs; plain moulded tower arch with abutment
to the east; plastered barrel ceiling to nave with an ovolo-moulded centre rib
possibility of early roof timbers concealed by plaster; slender C19 arched brace roof
to chancel.
Pre C19 features include a rectangle of medieval tiles below the east window, circa
early C18 bobbin-turned altar rails and a pretty late C17 pulpit (restored 1868) with
sounding board: the pulpit a slender drum with a carved cornice and knots and drapery
carved on the drum. A C17 panel with a cherub's head and brackets is fixed to the
wall behind the pulpit. Other fittings are a mixture of mid and late C19 design;
18]iO font with a square bowl with chamfered corners; C19 floor tiling incorporating
memorials from replaced ledger stones; late C19 choir stalls incorporating C17
fragments; 1870 prayer desk originating from Gilbert Scott's restoration of Exeter
Cathedral ; late C19 nave benches; 1904 lectern by Harry Hems of Exeter.
Memorials include 2 C17 wall plaques to members of the Cudmore family and a number of
early C19 white marble wall plaques. Painted Royal Arms in a nowy-headed frame above
the south door dated 1725 and signed "Johannes Gill Tiverton pinxit". North window
with memorial date of 1875 probably by Drake of Exeter.


Listing NGR: SS9118316115

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.