History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whitefield Barton and Bank Barn Adjoining West Cross Wing

A Grade II Listed Building in Marwood, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1351 / 51°8'6"N

Longitude: -4.0631 / 4°3'47"W

OS Eastings: 255752

OS Northings: 139341

OS Grid: SS557393

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.8QJD

Mapcode Global: VH4MK.JQCP

Entry Name: Whitefield Barton and Bank Barn Adjoining West Cross Wing

Listing Date: 25 February 1965

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107129

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98222

Location: Marwood, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Marwood

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Marwood St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bittadon

Listing Text

SS 53 NE MARWOOD WHITEFIELD

5/49 Whitefield Barton and bank barn
25.2.65 adjoining west cross wing
-
GV II

Large farmhouse and attached bank barn. House built 1771, rubble stone with
dressed quoins and slate roof. 2 axial brick stacks, with modern pots. 2 storeys.
Symmetrical plan with gabled slightly projecting cross wings at each end in 1-3-1
arrangement of bays. Blocked 'attic' lunette with brick arches above brick band
spanning each gable. Left side projection has 4-light cavetto-moulded sandstone
mullion window with roll-moulded architrave and thin tiled hood. Similar window
above but with splayed mullions. 2 panes per light, iron casement in lower pane.
The right-hand projection is now used as loose boxes. The facade openings being
blocked but mullions still in situ internally. Between are 3 bays of 4-light stone
windows 2 panes per light, with reused splayed mullions above with inserted
stonework to enlarge the openings. 2 similar windows with cavetto-moulded
mullions and square-cut architraves to each side of 4-panelled door with C20 slated
canopy. Above porch is cartouche with armorial bearings and inscription "This
house was built by George Ley Esq 1771". Over window to left of porch is shield
with initials IG and HG over and 1638 below. To right side is shield initialled HP
and dated 1790. Right-hand gable end has 2 blocked openings with cambered brick
heads to each side of blocked Venetian window opening above 2 small square openings
to each side of central door with corrugated asbestos canopy. Bank barn extending
to rear as continuation of left hand projection. Stone with slate roof. Lean-to
wash-house in angle of east front of barn with 2 square-headed doorways with timber
lintels to right and large double winnowing door over. No outstanding features
remain in the farmhouse. The 1638 datestone suggests the 3 central bays are C17
with wings and mullion windows to match of 1771.


Listing NGR: SS5575239341

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.