This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9094 / 50°54'33"N
Longitude: -3.744 / 3°44'38"W
OS Eastings: 277484
OS Northings: 113667
OS Grid: SS774136
Mapcode National: GBR L5.R19Y
Mapcode Global: FRA 361P.WRF
Entry Name: East Worlington House
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107333
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97424
Location: East Worlington, North Devon, Devon, EX17
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: East Worlington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: East Worlington
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
EAST WORLINGTON EAST WORLINGTON
SS 71 SE
8/19 East Worlington House
Manor house, subsequently the parsonage, now house. Circa early or mid C16,
remodelled mid or late C17 when extended. Further late C18 extension and extensive
remodelling. Rubble and cob, rendered and colourwashed; water-reed thatch hipped
roofs, stacks with C19 brick shafts.
Plan: the original plan is uncertain, probably 3 rooms and a through- or cross-
passage. It was evidently a house of high status since the moulded arch-braced
truss towards the right-hand end suggests that there was a first floor chamber at
this end, possibly the lower end. Because there are some smoke-blackened rafters
remaining in the roof it is likely that the hall was open to the roof originally.
In circa early C17 the hall would have been floored and a lateral stack inserted at
the back. There also seems to have been a lateral stack at the back of the lower
end. There may have been some remodelling in the late C17 when the right-hand room
under the first floor chamber was given a fine plaster ceilign. In the late C18 the
whole house was remodelled again and extended by a one room plan addition at either
end creating a symmetrical front, the left-hand room was a library, and the right-
hand room an outhouse, but its front treated as part of the main facade. At the
same time 2 wings and a staircase bay were added at the rear.
Plan and description: 2 storeys, symmetrical front of 1:5:1 windows, 12-pane sash
window on first floor, exposed sash boxes, 2 similar sash windows on ground floor
and two 3-light three quarter glazed French windows. Central door opening, C18
panelled door. Hipped roof C18 ranges at rear with casements; C18 stair-bay with
Interior: with lower room, now a study with Gothick features including fitted
bookshelves; central hall with 2 lateral ovolo-moulded ceiling beams with 2 fillets,
keel stops; the parlour with fine plaster ceiling in 3 panels, moulded cornices,
central oval panel, late C17. Much C18 work including dado-panelling, panelled
doors, chimneypieces on first floor with cast-iron grates and a staircase; the
latter with turned newels, stick balusters and ramped toadsback handrail, of dog-leg
Roof: much rebuilt C18 but with C16 arch-braced truss over the lower end of the
house, cyma and ogee moulded, no smoke-blackening, diagonal threaded ridge and
threaded purlins renewed. Over the hall-passage partition a further C16 truss with
morticed ridge, not moulded, some smoke-blackened rafters also remain. Remains of a
wooden mullioned window may be seen from inside the roof under the eaves of the rear
The manor house was mentioned in a terrier of 1727 stating: "It contains 8 under-
rooms viz; great parlour, hall, kitchen, little parlour, cellar, bottle house, and
woodhouse. All ye walles are of mudd except ye great parlour which is of stone".
Source: Hodgson Rev H J, in Chulmleigh Deanery Parochial Magazine, March-June 1927).
Listing NGR: SS7748413667
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings