This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4786 / 50°28'43"N
Longitude: -3.8023 / 3°48'8"W
OS Eastings: 272215
OS Northings: 65862
OS Grid: SX722658
Mapcode National: GBR QF.R6Y1
Mapcode Global: FRA 27XS.QGG
Entry Name: Wallaford Farmhouse
Listing Date: 27 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107352
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99430
Location: West Buckfastleigh, South Hams, Devon, TQ11
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: West Buckfastleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Buckfastleigh
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 76 NW
4/150 Wallaford Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa late C15 or early C16. Hall floored and fireplace inserted
in late C16 early C17 and lower end rebuilt and porch added in 1810. Datestone
in gable of porch instribed "TW 1810". Plastered stone rubble. Asbestos slate
roof with gabled ends. Rendered chimney stacks. Three rooms and through or
cross-passage plan, originally with open hall later floored and lateral stack
built on rear of hall, incorporating newel stairs (stack at gable end heating
inner room). In 1810 lower end entirely rebuilt and through passage widened to
take stairs and two storey porch added. Later outshuts at rear. The lower end
to right rebuilt as full two storeys with lower pitched roof and gabled porch
with a reused chamfered granite arch doorway and 1840 datestone in gable. The
left hand higher end is one storey and attic with two small gables and a hipped
roof porch in the angle with 1840 porch. C20 easements with leaded panes. At
rear large lateral chimney stack incorporating newel stairs with gable over.
Interior: Unstopped chamfered ceiling beam in hall. Said to be similar beam
in inner room. Lateral hall fireplace with chamfered lintel with step stops.
Wall between hall and inner room plastered and possibly connecting timber screen.
Solid wall between hall and passage. Early C19 stairs inserted into widened
through passage to form stair hall. Five roof trusses over hall and higher end
one smoke-blackened and have morticed apices and morticed collars. Threaded
purlins, only one purlin seen at rear of lower end of hall also smoke-blackened.
Trusses cut for diagonal ridgepiece which is missing. The rafters are also missing.
Listing NGR: SX7221565862
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings