History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dean Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dean Prior, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4691 / 50°28'8"N

Longitude: -3.787 / 3°47'13"W

OS Eastings: 273280

OS Northings: 64782

OS Grid: SX732647

Mapcode National: GBR QF.RYP8

Mapcode Global: FRA 27YT.BH6

Entry Name: Dean Court

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107414

English Heritage Legacy ID: 99271

Location: Dean Prior, South Hams, Devon, TQ11

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Dean Prior

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Dean Prior St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Buckfastleigh

Listing Text

DEAN PRIOR LOWER DEAN
SX 76 SW

6/12 Dean Court

11-11-52

- II*

Farmhouse, divided into two tenements. Late C16. Stone rubble with granite
quoins, mostly roughcast except for front porch. Bitumenised slate roof with
gabled ends. Originally E-shaped on plan but east wing has been demolished.
Two storeys. Two storeyed gabled porch to right of centre with moulded granite
four-centred arch doorway with carved spandrels and label, relieving arch above
and small blocked panel above that. Only the stops of the first floor corridor
label remain. The side windows of the porch are moulded two-light granite mullioned
and small convex diamond shaped squits below. Gabled wing to left and late
C19 four-light hall windows between with C20 metal frame casements above. Three
large rendered chimney stacks on rear wall. Later accretions at rear. Interior:
Hall has slightly raised dais. The screen has moulded panelling, and fluted
giant pilasters and entablature with rosettes on the frieze, elliptual tympanum
over the two doors with radiating fluting. Hall ceiling renewed. Hall fireplace
has granite jambs and renewed granite lintel. Moulded plaster arches at higher
end of hall with moulded panels either side. Enormous nail-studded and moulded
front door to screens passage with heavily moulded wooden doorframe. The door
is complete with lock. The back doorway of screens passage also has heavily
moulded doorframe. Victoria stairs in screens passage acroos screen. Two moulded
wooden doorframes on landing. Small stone fireplace over porch with ogee arch.
Some C18 panelled doors and panelled window shutters. Dean Court is said to
have been built by John Giles, father of Sir Edward Giles (1566-1637) whose
monument is in St Georges Church, Dean Prior gv. It seems probable that much
of the building was undertaken by Sir Edward Giles.


Listing NGR: SX7328064782

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.