History in Structure

Pixies Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Holne, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.5123 / 50°30'44"N

Longitude: -3.8324 / 3°49'56"W

OS Eastings: 270173

OS Northings: 69660

OS Grid: SX701696

Mapcode National: GBR QC.957F

Mapcode Global: FRA 27VP.YKW

Plus Code: 9C2RG569+W2

Entry Name: Pixies Hall

Listing Date: 27 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107421

English Heritage Legacy ID: 99285

ID on this website: 101107421

Location: Holne, South Hams, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Holne

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Holne St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Tagged with: Building Thatched building

Find accommodation in


SX 76 NW

4/181 Pixies Hall
- II

Small country house. 1928, by Fred Harild of Totnes who had been articled to
Lutyens. Drawings of this house exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1929. Devonian
limestone rubble. Thatched hipped roof with deep eaves with eyebrows and boarded
sofits, and with eyebrow dormers. Large end chimney stacks with set-offs and
rendered shafts. The chimney breast at north end is pierced by window at ground
storey level. One axial ridge stack off-centre. Vernacular revival style. Slightly
curved almost butterfly plan with symmetrical elevations. 2 storeys. The entrance
front is on the converse side. Central round arch entrance porch with recessed
doorway with wide eyebrow dormer above and 2 short flanking hipped-roof wings, their
thatched roofs on the outer sides narried down to lower level, that on right-hand
side carried on square pier over small verandah. Garden front on the concave side
has wide eyebrows at centre over glazed door with side lights and stone hood mould,
flanked by straight-headed lancets and stone ovolo-moulded cross mullion transom
windows. 5-light window on left hand and 3-light on right hand. All casement
windows with leaded panes in iron frames and slate weathering to lintels. Nail-
studded oak doors. Interior: largely intact interior. Ovolo moulded ceiling and
joists with butt-stapps. Original nail-studded oak plank doors with cover moulds.
Stone newel stairs with wooden balustrade at top and tapered newel post rising to
lamp standard. Stone tiled hall floor. Stone Tudor-arch chimneypiece in dining
room. Large open fireplace in drawing room with plain wooden chimneypiece with
segmental arch and mantel shelf.

Listing NGR: SX7017369660

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.