This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0744 / 51°4'27"N
Longitude: -3.9181 / 3°55'5"W
OS Eastings: 265719
OS Northings: 132314
OS Grid: SS657323
Mapcode National: GBR KX.DR6P
Mapcode Global: FRA 26P8.TMW
Entry Name: South Stoodleigh Farmhouse Including Attached Outbuildings to Rear
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107567
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98920
Location: East and West Buckland, North Devon, Devon, EX32
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: East and West Buckland
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: West Buckland St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
EAST AND WEST BUCKLAND
SS 63 SC
- South Stoodleigh Farmhouse
20.2.67 including attached outbuildings
Farmhouse, including outbuildings to rear. Possibly C17 core, entirely remodelled
1731. Outbuildings C19. Dressed stone facade, otherwise stone rubble. Hipped
slate roof with stacks to central valley. Continuous cavetto moulded stone cornice.
Virtually square double depth plan with 2 principal heated rooms of unequal size to
front with direct entry to larger right-hand room. Opposing rear door in this room
gives access to rear service rooms, the kitchen to left and dairy to right, divided
by the principal staircase which enters the front right hand room between the rear
access doorway and the fireplace. Parallel to the principal staircase and to its
right, a secondary staircase runs up from back to front. The peculiarity of the
plan suggests a possibly remodelled C17 core of a single depth plan with principal
rooms each side of a central passage. L-shaped outbuildings to rear forming 3-sided
2 storeys. 5 bays. Symmetrical. All 12-paned horned sashes in flush timber sash-
boxes. Central plank door with rectangular overlight.
Interior: C18 joinery, including 6 and 2-panelled doors and panelled shutters, is
virtually complete throughout. Right-hand principal room has large moulded
plasterwork ceiling oval and moulded cornice. Contemporary flat-arched chimneypiece
with central heraldic shield initialled W G (William and Grace Buckingham) and dated
1731. Room to left has moulded plasterwork ceiling consisting of large quatrefoil
with shaped corner panels and moulded dentilled cornice. This ceiling may be
slightly earlier, possibly c.1700, again suggesting the 1731 date refers to a
remodelling. Enclosed principal dog-leg staircase with low fielded dado panelling
on each side, ramped up at the ends of each flight. Secondary staircase also intact
with thin turned balusters to the garret flight. 2 parallel roofs of 4 C18 trusses
each. Dairy fittings intact. The dairy projects into the L-shaped range of rear
outbuildings which have corrugated asbestos roofs.
West Buckland School was founded here in 1858 before moving to its present site in
1861, as recorded on the gatepiers to the farmhouse (q.v.).
The house is of considerable interest and unusual for the area in retaining so many
Listing NGR: SS6571932314
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings