History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eastleigh Manor House, Including Ha Ha to Front on South and East Sides

A Grade II* Listed Building in Westleigh, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0315 / 51°1'53"N

Longitude: -4.1574 / 4°9'26"W

OS Eastings: 248816

OS Northings: 128003

OS Grid: SS488280

Mapcode National: GBR KL.HBM9

Mapcode Global: FRA 265D.B4N

Entry Name: Eastleigh Manor House, Including Ha Ha to Front on South and East Sides

Listing Date: 25 February 1965

Last Amended: 29 May 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107611

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98828

Location: Westleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Westleigh

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Westleigh

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SS 42 NE
3/103 Eastleigh Manor House, including
ha-ha to front on south and east
25.2.65 sides (formerly listed as Eastleigh
Manor house. Late C15 or early C16 remodelled in late C16 or early C17 and again
c.1800. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Bitumenised scantle slate roof to
rear, slate roof to front, hipped at left end. Lateral rear hall stack with
tapered cap, stone weatherings and brick shaft, axial stone rubble stack with
tapered cap and drip, and brick ridge stack to rear left-hand wing.
Complex plan development with later remodellings, the lack of access to main
roofspace impeding a full assessment. The original late C15 or early C16 core
probably consists of hall and present entrance hall. In late C16 or early Cl7 a
wing was added to rear of hall and the front range extended to left and again to
rear by the addition of a further wing forming an overall 3-sided rear courtyard
plan, the front range now with single large rooms to each side of wide entrance
hall. c.1800 the house was refashioned with gothick fenestration and features to
create more symmetrical east and south facades, and in C19 an additional central
rear wing was built, infilling part of the courtyard.
2 storeys. 5-window range, the 2 openings to left and one to right infilled and
painted to resemble intersecting glazing bars. Remaining fenestration all with
original gothick style sashes with intersecting glazing bars. Central Tuscan porch
with timber columns and pilasters and 2 panelled door, the upper part glazed in
similar style. The 2 windows on each floor to right, however, retain original late
C15/C16 stone reveals, with elaborate hollow-ogee-casement moulded surrounds and
dressed stone relieving arches. 2 fine C16 stone mullion windows at right gable
end, 3 lights above, ground floor of 4 lights with similarly moulded surrounds and
cusped ogee headed arches to the lights with quatrefoil and mouchette decoration in
the spandrels. South side has 6-window range of gothick sashes with intersecting
glazing bars and stone voussoirs, except at left end which is blind. 4 similar
ground floor sashes with pointed arched door to left with cover strips, and 2 blind
windows to left. Extending from left end of south side and to front right end of
east side are courtyard walls with castellated parapets, that to the south side
with 3 tall pointed arched plastered niches and gothick pointed arched door,
similar door to east side flanked by niches.
Interior: features survive from each successive remodelling. The hall retains
hollow-moulded granite fireplace surround. Trabeated ceiling with elaborate roll
flanked by hollow-ogee hollow moulded ceiling beams forming 6 fields. Late
medieval stained glass to the gable end mullion window, the diamond leaded cames to
the upper part each pane decorated with various scenes from the hunt, fleur-de-lis,
etc., above 4 roundels containing heraldic shields with small painted arms below
bearing Berry/Lambert crest. Wide chamfered ceiling beams to the rear wings with
doorway to rear courtyard with sunk chamfer and scroll-stopped surround and
original 3 plank door. Much of the remaining joinery of c.1800 remodelling intact
with 2- and 6-panelled doors. Massive kitchen fireplace lintel to left-hand rear
service wing (the stack demolished), heavily smoke-blackened and extending the
entire width of the wing. Upper floor to rear right-hand wing has 4-centred arched
doorway with hollow moulded surround and 3 plank door and cover strips at the gable
end suggesting this wing formerly extended eastwards. The roof structure over this
rear wing consists of 2 archbraced trusses with short curved feet with 2 tiers of
trenched purlins, chamfers to the soffit of the archbracing to the morticed and
tenoned collars and a lower tier of curved windbracing surviving to 3 bays on south
side and to 2 bays on north side. No access to roof space to front range, but the
structure over the hall is certainly late medieval with the elaborately moulded
feet of the principals supported on moulded timber corbels. This is an
exceptionally fine house with high quality features surviving from each successive

Listing NGR: SS4881628003

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.