This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1022 / 51°6'7"N
Longitude: -3.9534 / 3°57'12"W
OS Eastings: 263331
OS Northings: 135470
OS Grid: SS633354
Mapcode National: GBR KW.BVP1
Mapcode Global: VH4MT.FKCD
Plus Code: 9C3R422W+VM
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107658
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98633
Location: Stoke Rivers, North Devon, Devon, EX32
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Stoke Rivers
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Stoke Rivers St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Tagged with: Church building
STOKE RIVERS STOKE RIVERS
SS 63 NW
4/150 Church of St. Bartholomew
Parish church, mainly late C15/early C16 but may be some earlier fabric. Some C18
work survives. Main restoration in 1880's and in 1905 by Tamlin, but possibly some
earlier restoration work of 1831. Stone rubble with stone dressings. Slate roofs
with coped gabled ends. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle and south porch.
Tower of 3 stages with embattled parapet and stone gargoyles to each corner
polygonal stair turret to south side with 2 small traceried windows above 5 slits.
Single angle buttress to north-east corner of tower, and diagonal buttresses to full
height with offsets at south-west and north-west corners. C19 pointed-arched bell-
openings of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil tracery, the cusps clasping
foliated centres. Similar 2-light opening to second stage south-side with pointed
arched hoodmould and label stops. Perpendicular single cusped-headed niche below.
West window of 3-lights with foliated emblem and human heads around the hollow
moulded surround. Pointed arched west dorway with double roll-moulded surround.
Plank door with metal lock dated 1769 and handle dated 1883. South aisle has one 2-
light and two 2-light straight-headed windows in Perpendicular style with 4-centred
arches to the lights. Diagonal buttresses to each end and 2 buttresses with offsets
flank the right hand window. South porch with plain carved bargeboard. Slate
sundial by John Berry dated 1770 above Perpendicular semi-circular headed doorway
with cavetto flanked by cyma recta moulded surround. Plain plastered waggon roof
with moulded timber wall plates. Similar round-arched inner door but without the
right-hand cyma recta moulding. C19 plank doors, both to south porch and priests
door towards east end with 4-centred arch and hollow chamfered and ovolo-moulded
surround. C19 3-light east window to south aisle with intersecting tracery and
hoodmoulded. Pointed arch to east window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with
Perpendicular style tracery and hoodmould 4 buttresses to north side of chancel
flanking 3 straight-headed Perpendicular windows with 3 four-centred arched lights
but with much renewed stonework.
Interior: pointed triple chamfered tower arch. South arcade of 4 bays with Pevsner
'B' type piers and block capitals without decoration. Plain plastered basket-arched
ceilings to south aisle, nave and chancel possibly concealing earlier roof
structure. C18 dado panelling, 2-panels high along nave and aisle walls. Medieval
floor tiles survive in 3 groups, one near to base of tower arch, some reset around
base of font and some very worn examples near to the south door.
Stone font with round stem and bowl, undecorated with lead lining and C16 cone cover
8-sided with moulded ribs swept up to crocketted finial. Pulpit with octagonal drum
with reused C16 bench ends on each of the exposed facets, 3 panels high to the
sides, and two large panels to front all richly carved with repeated designs. Stem
with scalloped capital reused. Altar table to south-side reuses C16 carved
panelling with tall carved male figure on left side and male figure surmounted by
female bust to right side. Apron rail between carved "Revd. C. Hiern Rector 1831
and J & P Tamlyn Churchwardens". C19 stone lecturn with 4 crocketted supporting
brackets and tracery of 2-lights on each side with pointed trefoil heads. Stained
glass to east window dated 1889. C17 chest in south aisle with carved lunettes
above 3-panelled front. Painted Royal Arms on aisle west wall.
Monuments: south side of aisle, from east end: weathered inscription to alabaster
wall monument of 1661. Oval medallion with lozenge at top and roundels to side and
base in scrolling surround. Two C19 marble tablets to Tamlyn family, one recording
£200 bequest to education of poor children. 2 identical C19 marble wall monuments,
one signed J. Clarke of Exeter to Hiern family. North side of nave from east, a
late C18 pedimented marble tablet with oval medallion to Hunt family, wall monument
to John Tamlyn died 1816 with square marble tablet below with Latin inscription to
Henry Parmienter dated 1791 and high Victorian Gothic monument to John Hutton.
Devon Churches Project
Listing NGR: SS6333235469
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings