History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Estate Farmhouse with Outbuildings Comprising Shippon at East End and Shippon and Slaughter House Adjoining at West End

A Grade II Listed Building in West Down, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1579 / 51°9'28"N

Longitude: -4.1226 / 4°7'21"W

OS Eastings: 251664

OS Northings: 141988

OS Grid: SS516419

Mapcode National: GBR KN.77FX

Mapcode Global: VH4MJ.H5F6

Entry Name: Town Estate Farmhouse with Outbuildings Comprising Shippon at East End and Shippon and Slaughter House Adjoining at West End

Listing Date: 25 February 1965

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107752

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98464

Location: West Down, North Devon, Devon, EX34

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: West Down

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: West Down St Calixtus

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
West Down

Listing Text

SS 54 SW WEST DOWN CHURCHPOOL (south side)
West Down
4/217 Town Estate Farmhouse with
- outbuildings comprising shippon
25.2.65 at east end and shippon and
- slaughter house adjoining at west
end

GV II

Farmhouse, 1669 by porch datestone. Stuccoed rubble with slate roof, hipped to
left end extension. Stacks to each end of main range, rubble to right brick to
left end and large lateral stack to front with weatherings and tapered cap.
Through-passage plan with 2-storeyed porch. Projecting gabled-ended stair turret
to front at upper end between hall and parlour. Extended lower end, now forming 2
kitchens with dairy with lean-to slate roof to front, appears to have been
heightened in C19 and may well formerly have been a byre, the additional 2 bays at
extreme lower end still being a shippon with loft over. 1½ storeys. 2 lean-tos
with slate roofs at lower end, 2 window openings to the right hand one. Gabled
porch with 2-light casement, 2 panes each light over slate plaque
Builded by Richard Peard
Grace Peard
Anno dom. 1669
Unmoulded segmental-arched porch doorway with 6-panelled inner door, the top panels
glazed. Hall sash to right 8 over 8 panes. 3-light window to stair turret 6
panes per light in old heavy frame. Upper end has gabled half dormer with hornless
sash 2 over 2 panes above similar sash. Lower end of shippon has 2 ventilation
slits with 2 tiers of pigeon holes above continuing round to rear above 2 plank
doors with brick arches. Outbuildings adjoining at upper end comprise slated roof
to cart entrance with large double doors with projecting square rubble pier to
right. Slaughter-house to right with square opening with timber lintel and 2 plank
doors to rear, with right angled extension to rear comprising small shippon with 3
stalls and original roof trusses. Main range has largely unspoilt C19 interior
features which may conceal earlier features, with main hall beams being boxed in
and blocked fireplace. Roof structure of 5 straight principals with 2 tiers of
purlins resting on backs and pegged collars. The fourth truss from upper end has
F1 type apex (Alcock) with saddle and short kingpost supporting diagonally set
ridge purlin.


Listing NGR: SS5166841984

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.