This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1376 / 51°8'15"N
Longitude: -4.1956 / 4°11'44"W
OS Eastings: 246488
OS Northings: 139888
OS Grid: SS464398
Mapcode National: GBR KK.8LXN
Mapcode Global: VH3Q1.7N9R
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107755
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98372
Location: Georgeham, North Devon, Devon, EX33
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Georgeham
Built-Up Area: Georgeham
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Georgeham St George
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 43 NE GEORGEHAM CHURCH ROAD (north side)
7/118 Church of St George
Parish Church, C13 fabric to nave, south aisle possibly C14, both rebuilt in C15
when west tower was added. Church classicized in 1762 but most features removed
and chancel rebuilt in 1876. Restoration by J Fowler of Louth. Random stone
rubble with large blocks to tower. Ashlar dressings to openings and dressed stone
quoins. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles, coped gable ends and apex crosses.
Tall round shaft with lipped cap to vestry stack. West tower of 3 stages with set
back buttresses. Embattled parapet and stair turret with 4 slit windows to north
side. Bell-openings with ogee-arched lights, 2-lights on each side except to
north, which is single light, all with hoodmoulds. Weatherings to former higher
roof pitch to nave on east side, with stair turret window in 2nd stage. West side
has pointed arched 4-light window with labelled hoodmould above pointed arched C15
doorway with hollow moulded surround with fleurons and foliated emblems and single
ecclesiastical bust around the moulding. Pointed arched hoodmould with weathered
human head corbels. Plank door. South side has single-light square headed window
at top of first stage. West end of south aisle has 2-light pointed arched window
with hoodmould. Rainwater head in angle dated 1876. South aisle has 3 pointed
arched windows, 3 cusped headed lights each with hoodmoulds. Buttress with offsets
flanking upper 2 windows, and dated rainwater head. South porch has semicircular
headed slate sundial dated 1773 above pointed arched entrance with chamfered
surround and human head corbels to the hoodmould. Pointed arched inner door with
deep chamfered surround. C19 framed and ledged pointed arch door. Blocked pointed
arched window to east end of south aisle. 2-light window to south side of chancel
with label stops to hoodmould. Pointed arched 3-light east window with hoodmould.
Quatrefoil window on north side 1876 rainwater head in the angle of chancel and
vestry, which has pointed arched doorway on east side with hoodmould an foliated
corbels. Buttresses flanking 3-light pointed arched window on north side. Three
3-light windows to nave with pointed arches and hoodmoulds with buttresses flanking
lower 2 windows.
Interior: Unmoulded pointed tower arch. Deeply incised ogee arched doorway to
stair turret. Wooden charity board on south wall of tower. Unceiled waggon roofs
to nave and south aisle with carved bosses at each of the intersections. Arcade of
5 bays with Pevsner 'B' type piers with leaf capitals to the main shafts. The
fifth bay (to south chancel chapel) has double arch, the chancel side being C19 in
similar style. C19 nave furnishings. The stone pulpit with panelled insets to the
three sides with short marble colonnettes supporting enriched arches. Square bowl
of early font, with chamfered sides lies near base of pulpit. Blocked ogee-arched
doorway behind pulpit. Elaborate C19 reredos with crocketted pinnacles, double
steeply pointed arches to each side with marble colonnettes and painted figures in
each of the 4 panels. Stone carved panel of Last Supper to centre C13 ogee-arched
piscina in south wall of chancel and another C13 piscina in south chancel chapel.
C18 wooden screen to south chancel chapel restored in 1912, fluted Ionic
pilasters. Demi-panels to each side and central semicircular archway with
barleysugar shafts. Broken segmental pediment above the achievement in centre.
Stone panel on north chancel wall, reset in C19 c.1300 depicting the Crucifixion.
Mutilated heads to Christ and two flanking figures with weeping angels to each end
of the Cross. Stone effigy in segmental arched niche in south wall of south
chancel chapel, said to be Mauger of St Aubyn (died 1294) cross-legged knight with
2 dogs at feet, sword, sheild and supportive angels. Elaborate C17 monuments
across the angle of the chapel to the Newcourt family of Pickwell. Cherubs at base
of Ionic colonnettes flank 6 roundels with busts in each niche with some original
painted decoration. Large marble monument erected 1776 on east wall of chapel to
John Hams of Pickwell Esq. "twice M.P. for Barnstaple, died 1768" and family.
Marble bust above two putti flanking profile of Mrs Harris standing on marble base.
Tablet in south wall of aisle to John Heddon gent of South Hole, died 1831 and wife
died 1853 by J Gould of Barnstaple. Wall monument on north slde of nave to Edward
Richards gent and family, late C18. Broken pediment with central achievement.
Console to base flanking shield. Unusual late C16 tablet on north chancel wall to
Iohannis Berry, rector with Greek and Latin inscription.
Listing NGR: SS4649039887
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings