This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3352 / 50°20'6"N
Longitude: -3.9503 / 3°57'0"W
OS Eastings: 261300
OS Northings: 50183
OS Grid: SX613501
Mapcode National: GBR Q5.PC23
Mapcode Global: FRA 28M4.T0J
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 29 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107808
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100357
Location: Holbeton, South Hams, Devon, PL8
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Holbeton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX6150 HOLBETON HILLSIDE, HOLBETON
29/3/60 Church of All saints
Parish Church. Late C13 to early C14 west tower and spire, remainder circa early
C16. Well restored by J.D. Sedding and completed in 1889. Coursed slate rubble with
granite dressings including moulded granite plinth. Slate roofs. Nave and chancel
in one with large five-light four-centred arch east window with Perpendicular panel
tracery. Buttresses with set-offs, set back from the corners at the east end. Long
north and south aisles. The north aisle with Perpendicular intersecting traceried
window and Perpendicular panel traceried window at the east end. The south aisle has
restored Perpendicular windows and four-centre arch south doorway with carved
spandrels. North and south transepts also Perpendicular. Late C19 porch with reset
four-centre arch doorway and late C19 wrought iron gate.
Tall plain C13/14 west tower in three stages with slightly set back butresses with
set-offs. Corbelled embattled parapet and tall octagonal recessed stone spire.
Cusped lancet bell-openings with hood moulds, three on east and west and one on north
and south sides. Stair turret on the north side projecting externally up to belfry
only. Chamfered two-centred arch west doorway with hood mould and restored
Perpendicular window above.
Interior: Spacious interior with broad nave, five bay north and south arcades with
wide moulded four-centred arches and granite monolithic piers with alternating shafts
and hollows and with moulded capitals and bases. Carved leaf capitals on aisle
chapel arcades. Similar transept arches. Tall two-centred tower arch with imposts.
Squints from aisles and transepts. Late C19 unceiled wagon roof by Sedding with
carved bosses, some reused and with angels in the chancel. Fine early-mid C16
screens restored by Sedding. Good furnishings by Sedding including screens, choir
stalls, benches,sedilia, wainscot, lectern and south door. Late C19 carved stone
pulpit and marble font. Norman font with flat square bowl. Monuments: In north
chapel to Hele family circa 1625 with 22 kneeling figures in four tiers with central
reclining effigy of Sir Thomas Hele in armour. Small C17 pedimented wall monument to
left hand. 1698 wall monument in south aisle. Peter Perring 1796 in south
transept. Elizabeth Bulteel 1835 in chancel with female figure standing over a
sarcophagus. James Bulteel and family 1801 by Coade and Sealy with large putti and
Reference: Transactions of the Devonshire Association 1900 Vol. 32 pages 552-579 and
1932 Vol. 64 pages 485-496.
Transactions of Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society 3rd Series
Vol. 1 page 60.
Listing NGR: SX6130250183
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings