History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bath House South East of Bradshaw House

A Grade II Listed Building in Congleton, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1618 / 53°9'42"N

Longitude: -2.2087 / 2°12'31"W

OS Eastings: 386142

OS Northings: 362760

OS Grid: SJ861627

Mapcode National: GBR 12C.SHJ

Mapcode Global: WHBC1.1SJH

Entry Name: Bath House South East of Bradshaw House

Listing Date: 18 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107874

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55946

Location: Congleton, Cheshire East, CW12

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Congleton

Built-Up Area: Congleton

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Congleton Team

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Congleton

Listing Text

1.
5144 LAWTON STREET
SJ 86 SE (South Side) Cole Hill Bank

Bath House south-east
SP/676 of Bradshaw House


II GV

2.
Bath House circa 1820 with minor late C19 addition. Red brick in English Garden Wall
Bond with pyramid hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, 1-bay, square plan. On the east
side two stone steps lead down to the bath chamber entrance door. This is oak
boarded with three ogee moulded bands, hung on strap hinges to a heavy beaded oak
frame. There is a gauged skewback arch over the door and a flush sash window with
exposed weight boxes and glazing bars at first floor level. The south side is
fronted by a flight of five stone steps and a quarter space landing with plain metal
balustrade and segmental handrail. This leads to a room above the bath which has
the remains of a boarded and part glazed door hung to a heavy oak frame with skewback
gauged arch above. A small opening, with splayed stone reveals, below the landing
looks into the bath chamber. At the RH (east) side of the steps there is an added
porch-like structure with flat stone slab roof and small side window with stone sill
and stop chamfered stone lintel. The west elevation has a chimney breast taking up
one-third of its width and projecting one brick. There is a sash at first floor
level in the north side. The roof is of large slates with hip tiles, there is a
raised lead covered vent at the apex and there was formely a cast iron gutter on
drive-in-stays with shaped brackets.
Interior: A 3 metre square bath of dressed stone flanked south and east by narrow
areas of natural stone paving. Six stone steps lead down to the bottom of the bath.
The floor above had chamfered oak beams and oak joists with the remains of a lath
and plaster ceiling. At first floor level the fireplaces opening in the chimney
breast is blocked. There is a torus moulded skirting; dado rail and the remains of
wall plaster. The roof is supported by a single King Post truss, without struts,
which takes the hip rafters. There are purlins, oak rafters and ceiling joists
and the remains of a plastered ceiling.


Listing NGR: SJ8614262759

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.