This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4004 / 51°24'1"N
Longitude: 0.5059 / 0°30'21"E
OS Eastings: 574412
OS Northings: 169801
OS Grid: TQ744698
Mapcode National: GBR PPN.2QQ
Mapcode Global: VHJLT.Q2B8
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 24 October 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107886
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173202
Location: Medway, ME2
Electoral Ward/Division: Strood North
Built-Up Area: Rochester
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Frindsbury All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
STROOD CHURCH GREEN,
TQ 7469 NW
Parish Church of All
Parish church. Norman chancel, chancel arch, and much of the
fabric of the nave, together (probably) with substantial part of
the W tower; C14 S aisle and alterations to the tower (including
S stair turret); restorations in 1824 and 1884 (the latter by
Pearson who added - or rebuilt - the N aisle, renewed the window
tracery (removed in 1824) and built the NE vestry). The oldest
work contains much flint with ragstone dressings; the rest
ragstone rubble with limestone dressings; shingle spire, Kent
tile chancel roof and renewed tile roof to nave. The plan (W
tower, nave and aisles, chancel without aisles, NE vestry) is
unusual only in that the S aisle which contains the entrance,
stops one bay short of the W end. Exterior. W tower, quoined
without buttresses, battlemented (with exceptionally wide
merlons), 3 stages (single cusped pointed openings to each stage,
N, S and W); moulded arch to W doorway; polygonal stair turret
to S. Renewed single broach spire. S aisle, and the single
unaisled bay of nave S wall, all under plain parapet, with
renewed 3-light windows (one with transom); S doorway within
aisle. 4-light E window to aisle. Quoining of SE corner of nave
visible. Chancel, S wall with blocked 2-light low-set window
(for reading desk) immediately W of blocked priest's doorway.
Single lancet and 2-light square-headed window. Chancel E: 3
low-set round-headed lancets under large wheel window (by
Pearson). NE vestry (set transeptally) and N aisle (all Pearson)
with plain parapet and 4-light windows. Interior: nave with 3-
bay medieval S arcade (octagonal piers, 2 hollow chamfers to
arches); N arcade by Pearson. Norman chancel arch, the abaci
partly original; the flanking cusped openings renewed by Pearson.
Chancel roof: early form (ashlar pieces, high-set tie with
diagonal bracing) much renewed but with some medieval timbers;
C19 nave roof with arched braced tiles, side and collar purlins
with wind braces. Font: early C15, stone, octagonal bowl on
panelled and buttressed stem with contemporary wooden cover. C19
furnishings, stone reredos, Last Supper in half relief behind
open canopied arcade set within buttresses frame on plinth.
Monument: remarkable wall monument to Thomas Butler (1621), a
cumbersome shafted chest with wooden pedimented over-mantel with
inscription. Minor early C19 mural monument in N aisle, one
(George Gunning, 1821) signed by John Bacon, jr. another
(Lady Staines, 1832), signed Samuel Manning, jr. Mid. C17
monuments in S aisle. Glass: E ensemble, Clayton & Bell (on
stylistic grounds), Passion sequence in lancets, angels in wheel
window above; S aisle (E) by Dixon, 1880s. A c.1860s tricento-
style reredos now in tower. Reference: J Newman, West Kent and
Weald. Buildings of England (2nd ed, reprint 1980, p 289).
Listing NGR: TQ7441269801
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings