This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3203 / 50°19'13"N
Longitude: -3.6122 / 3°36'43"W
OS Eastings: 285325
OS Northings: 47953
OS Grid: SX853479
Mapcode National: GBR QR.M7MB
Mapcode Global: FRA 38B6.0KR
Entry Name: Blackpool House
Listing Date: 25 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107987
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99929
Location: Stoke Fleming, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Stoke Fleming
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Stoke Fleming St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
STOKE FLEMING BLACKPOOL
SX84NE Blackpool House
House and adjoining cottage which is now the rear wing of the house. Circa
1830-39, the former cottage is later C19 and was joined to the house in the
early C20. Late C20 additions. Stuccoed stone rubble. Hipped slate roof
with black glazed ridge tiles and deep eaves with moulded cast-iron gutters.
Rendered side stacks. The rear wing has stone rubble walls faced in reed
and a thatched roof with gabled ends and 3 gables at the front.
Plan: The interior was not inspected but the original house appears to have
had 2 principal rooms in the front range with a stairhall at the centre and
a one-room plan wing probably containing the kitchen behind the left hand
room. There was a verandah across the front of the house. Later in the C19
a detached cottage, probably of 2-room plan, was built behind the rear wing
and in the early C20 the 2 buildings were linked by infilling the space
between the rear wing of the main house and the cottage In the late C20 a
2 storey 1-room plan extension was built at the right hand end of the main
range and a single storey extension at the left hand end. Also in the C20
the verandah across the front was rebuilt and glazed.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Not quite symmetrical 3-window south front, the
centre and right hand windows closer spaced. Front floor has 3 early C19
16-pane sashes, the centre slightly smaller, and all with blind boxes. The
ground floor has 2 early C19 tripartite sashes (4:8:4 panes) and a central
doorway with what is probably a C19 panelled and glazed door. The original
house is said to have had an open-fronted verandah which has been replaced
in the C20 by a large glazed verandah with a slate roof, but the fenestra-
tion behind seems to be intact. To the right the C20 2-storey 1-bay
extension is slightly recessed and has large C20 casements and a flat roof.
The left hand side has a C19 canted bay window with sashes complete with
glazing bars, a C19 12-pane sash above and a short early C20 extension to
the left of 2 bays with garden linking the main house with the formerly
detached cottage. The cottage has stone rubble walls faced in vertically
applied water reeds fixed by horizontal buttons, and a thatched roof with 3
gables at the front. The front of the cottage is nearly symmetrical and has
tall late C19 or early C20 2-light casements and a doorway to the left and
right. To the left of centre a small dovecote attached to the front and
faced with water-reed. There is a C20 extension at the left end of the
Interior was not inspected.
Blackpool House is situated high up on the hillside overlooking Blackpool
Sands and the bay. It is said to have been built as the summer residence of
a Dartmouth gentleman and is now occupied by the Newmans who have been here
since the C19. White's Directory of 1878 lists Thomas H. Newman Esq J.P.,
Blackpool Cottage; and Coryton, Tavistock; and 9 Great Cumberland Place,
Regent Street, London.
Listing NGR: SX8532547953
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings