This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4119 / 50°24'42"N
Longitude: -3.714 / 3°42'50"W
OS Eastings: 278308
OS Northings: 58293
OS Grid: SX783582
Mapcode National: GBR QK.GKK5
Mapcode Global: FRA 373Y.WD1
Entry Name: Dundridge
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108243
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101261
Location: Harberton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Harberton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Harberton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
In the entry for the following:-
The grade shall be amended to read II.
Country house. Circa 1830 for the Harvey family. Alterations including
addition of rear wing and verandah of circa 1893 by W H Tollit. Stuccoed
stone rubble, rear wing white brick with stone dressings. Slate hipped roofs
with lead rolls to ridge and hips. Rendered chimney stacks with moulded
Plan: Internal arrangement uncertain. Overall L-shaped on plan. The main
range has a deep rectangular plan with a central entrance hall off which there
are rooms on either side; the principal rooms are those on the left side on
the garden front, at the extreme end of which there is a large wing at right
angles with a colonnaded balcony on the first floor. On the other (north
east) side there is a late C19 wing at the back. Neo-classical style.
Exterior: Two storeys. South east front 2:1:2 bays, centre slightly
advanced. Entablature of heavy cornice and parquet breaks forward over centre
bay. Ground floor wide Doric portico with fluted columns, later C19 glazed
doors, rounded reveals with deep frieze of arcanthus. The windows have
moulded architraves and sills on small brackets, later C19 casements probably
replace original sashes. Left hand return facing south west, long garden
elevation, 3:1:3:1 bays, centre and right hand bays break forward with
pilasters. The entablature of the south east front continues to breaks
forward over centre and right hand bays which have raised parapets. The
parapet continues around projecting north west wing to left which has a
colonnade to first floor balcony
on its inner south east side, with fluted Doric columns and cast iron balcony
with bosses of intersections of diagonal bars. The south west end of wing has
pair of windows at centre of each storey, flanked by blind panels on ground
storey and pair of pilasters on first storey, the right hand pilaster is end
pier of the colonnade of the south east balcony. All the windows are late
C19 casements, probably replacing original sashes. Across the entire south
west front and continuing around inner side of south west wing is a late C19
verandah with Ionic columns, paired at centre, supporting wooden modillion
cornice to its roof which has range of dormers with squat columns supporting
entablatures. At their end of the verandah a glazed conservatory with
pediments. Between the columns of verandah a cast iron balustrade with
bosses at intersections of diagonal bars.
Interior: Fine large entrance hall with good moulded plasterwork. In the
rounded end of hall a geometric staircase. Judging by the good quality of the
hall there are likely to be more interesting rooms.
Note: Dundridge was the seat of the Harvey family.
Listing NGR: SX7830858293
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings