History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Longcause House

A Grade II Listed Building in Dartington, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.4376 / 50°26'15"N

Longitude: -3.7026 / 3°42'9"W

OS Eastings: 279186

OS Northings: 61139

OS Grid: SX791611

Mapcode National: GBR QL.LVWP

Mapcode Global: FRA 374W.TLC

Entry Name: Longcause House

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1108350

English Heritage Legacy ID: 101024

Location: Dartington, South Hams, Devon, TQ9

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Dartington

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Dartington St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


13/111 Longcause House

House. Built in 1823 or 1825. Said to have been designed by J Brown of
Exeter. Stuccoed stone rubble, simple spare slate hipped roof with
sprocketted eaves overhanging on paired brackets. Over the centre of the
ridge on hexagonal timber bellcote with a tent-shaped lead or zinc roof
with a ball finial and weather vane. Rendered chimney stacks one on the
right (north east) side and 2 to left of ridge, each with 3 octagonal
shafts with short yellow clay pots.
Plan: Rectangular plan of 3 rooms deep; 2 principal front rooms and a
central entrance hall/passage leading to a stairwell behind the right hand
room and a small office/study behind the left hand room. The central
passage continues to a rear doorway and to either side there is the kitchen
to the right, behind the stair well with its own stairs to the servant's
quarters, and to the left, behind the study, a room which was possibly the
servant's hall.
Exterior: 2 storeys. South east front: symmetrical 3 bays. Large original
12-pane sashes, the ground floor cills almost at ground level. Wide
central doorway with moulded doorframe and hall glazed double doors with
pattern of margin and arched glazing bars and bottom panels; wide portico
with 2 pairs of rendered Doric columns and pilasters supporting an
establishment with a moulded cornice. The south west garden front, left
hand return, is longer and has wider spaced 3 bays of similar sash windows,
but no doorway.
The right hand return, north east side has irregular fenestration, 12-pane
sash on ground and first floor to left of centre and tall central round-
arched stair window with glazing bars radiating at top. C20 garage
adjoining right. The rear, north west, is 3 bays, smaller 12-pane first
floor sash windows, the ground floor with blind segmental fanlights above
and central doorway with moulded doorframe with pilasters and flush-panel
door with rectangular fanlight in blind recess.
Interior: is largely intact and most of its original joinery is preserved
including doors and window shutters etc and most of the original
plasterwork survives. The hall has a five groin vaulted plaster ceiling
leading to the stair well with an open-well stairs with stick balusters and
weathered handrail, open string with shaped tread ends. The stair well and
landing ceilings have modillion cornices and elliptical arches with key-
motif in the intrados. The modillion cornices and elliptical arches with
key-motif in the intrados. The modillion cornices and elliptical arches
with key-motif in the intrados. The front right hand room has moulded
plaster cornice and frieze with Vitruvian scroll and shallow elliptically
arched recess in rear wall. The front left hand has a moulded plaster
cornices with a fish-scale pattern frieze. Moulded plaster ceiling
centrepiece and round-headed niches either side of the fireplace. The
chimney pieces in the front rooms have been replaced. The ground floor
office has plaster cornice with egg and dart pattern. The servant's hall
behind has a simple moulded plaster cornice. The kitchen has a C19 iron
range. The cellars have brick groin vaults and access is from stairs in
the kitchen.
The house is said to have been built on the site of Longcause Barracks, of
1794, on the foundations of the officers' mess.

Listing NGR: SX7918661139

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.