This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4462 / 50°26'46"N
Longitude: -3.7094 / 3°42'33"W
OS Eastings: 278727
OS Northings: 62097
OS Grid: SX787620
Mapcode National: GBR QL.L6RW
Mapcode Global: FRA 373W.4PR
Entry Name: Spedding Cottages
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Last Amended: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108351
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101028
Location: Dartington, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartington
Built-Up Area: Dartington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartington St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX7862 - SX7962 COTT ROAD, SHINNER'S BRIDGE
12/115 Nos 1, 2 and 3 Spedding
9.2.61 Cottages (formerly listed
Row of 3 almshouses. Dated 1835, extended at rear of No 2 in C20. Local
limestone rubble, dressed stone quoins and chamfered rendered plinth.
Slate roof with slate coped gable ends with moulded corbel kneelers and
squat octagonal finials. 2 stone rubble axial stacks each with 2 rebuilt
diagonally set red brick shafts.
Plan: Row of 4 almshouses cottages; the end cottages are single depth 2
room plans the centre pair are 1-room plans, each having an entrance in the
shared 2 storey central porch. The centre 2 cottages have been converted
into one and extended at the hands in C20.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 1:2:1:2:1 bay range the centre bay a 2-
storey gabled porch with buttresses to sides and with kneelers; flashed by
2 windows the first floor in gabled half-dormers with kneelers, and a
doorway at each end of front without a window above.
The windows are in moulded rendered openings; the ground floor with
hoodmoulds and 2-light ovolo moulded wooden mullion windows; the first
casements with glazing bars; all the windows are the original C19. The 3
doorways, one at the centre in the porch and the 2 outer doorways have
chamfered rendered 4-centred arch openings and C19 plank doors with cover
moulds. Over the centre doorway in the porch is a large slate plaque in a
moulded recess with Latin inscription, translated it reads:- "This house
was built as an everlasting alms at the expense of Mary Spedding in pious
memory of Margaret Froude her sister. The adjoining field was received for
the same purpose by Henry Champernowne AD.1835". A small single light iron
casement in gable above has leaded panes.
Interior: not inspected.
Listing NGR: SX7872762097
Other nearby listed buildings