History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Keyndon Farmhouse Including Secondary Range Immediately to the West

A Grade II* Listed Building in Frogmore and Sherford, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2769 / 50°16'36"N

Longitude: -3.7209 / 3°43'15"W

OS Eastings: 277471

OS Northings: 43295

OS Grid: SX774432

Mapcode National: GBR QK.R3SJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 3839.D6X

Entry Name: Keyndon Farmhouse Including Secondary Range Immediately to the West

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 19 February 1990

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1108451

English Heritage Legacy ID: 100763

Location: Frogmore and Sherford, South Hams, Devon, TQ7

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Frogmore and Sherford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Stokenham St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
South Pool

Listing Text

SX 74 SE SHERFORD
Keynedon Farmhouse including
6/66 secondary range immediately to the
West. ( Formerly seperately listed. )
26.1.67 (Secondary Range only)
25.10.51 (Keynedon only) II*

GV

Farmhouse. C15 remodelled apparently in early C16 and with some C17 work. Much of
the walls are constructed of coursed and dressed slate stone rubble, also with
some more random rubble. Slate roofs. Several early stone chimney stacks
including a very large stepped stack at the south end of the front range.
Plan: Lack of access prevents a full interpretation of the plan, but a general
outline can be given. The house is built around a narrow courtyard in 2 main
ranges and with a larger walled forecourt at the front (qv). The front range has
a C17 porch in front of a wide through passage. To the right of this passage, at
the north end, are the kitchen and service rooms. Above them is a range of
chambers reached only from a newel stair at this end of the house. To the left of
the passage is a room which was probably the original hall, set on a cellar, which
became a parlour in the C17. At the opposite side of a narrow courtyard to the
West is a long service range incorporating a bakehouse and brewhouse and with
chambers above.
Exterior: 2 storey asymmetrical front of mainly C20 casement windows. To the
left of centre is a large single storey C17 porch with rubble arch at the front
and re-using 2 C15 2 centred arched doorways on either side. The ground drops at
the left-hand end of the house and the porch is reached by a short flight of stone
steps. There is a basement underneath the left-hand end of the house with a
window with iron stanchion bars. On the northern, right-hand end wall of this
range is a 4-light C16 granite mullion window with 4-centred heeds, On the rear
elevation of this range a modern flue towards the northern end partially blocks a
similar 2-light C16 window. The rear doorway has a granite segmental arched
doorframe with carved spandrels. This abuts a newel stair projection with a
dovecote in the top. The parallel rear courtyard range has a series of C15 or C16
windows with shouldered heads and iron stanchion bars. Roundarched chamfered
doorway with a draw bar to the door. On the west of this range is a small
garderobe projection. Lower C16 addition at the south end has a granite arched
doorway and small blocked lights in the gable.
Interior: Room to left of passage has good panelling of circa 1630 and a Gibbs
type chimney piece of circa 1730. The kitchen at the right-hand end of this range
may have a series of moulded timbers and there is a good arched doorway in a room
to the south of it. In the rear range the bakehouse has a massive open fireplace
with stone oven. There is an old wooden doorframe in the north wall and 2 similar
doorframes with segmental heads above. A second room to the north on the 1st
floor has a small oak framed door, rebated in the inner side, which leads to a
garderobe.
This is one of the earliest farmhouses in this part of Devon and a very unusual
survival of a medieval courtyard plan house, still retaining much of its early
layout and features.
Access to it was very limited at the time of survey and most of the information on
it has been taken from the notes of Dr. E.A. Gee, who visited the house in 1980.


Listing NGR: SX7747143295

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.