History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Snelston, Derbyshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9871 / 52°59'13"N

Longitude: -1.77 / 1°46'11"W

OS Eastings: 415540

OS Northings: 343332

OS Grid: SK155433

Mapcode National: GBR 491.PBP

Mapcode Global: WHCFB.S5CV

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 13 September 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109768

English Heritage Legacy ID: 81314

Location: Snelston, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Snelston

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Snelston St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

2/84 (North Side)
13.9.67 Church of St Peter

Parish church. Early C15, rebuilt except for tower in 1825 and with major alterations
in 1907 by Hodgson Fowler. Sandstone ashlar, and slate roof with stone coped gables,
topped by ridge crosses. Deep plinth all round building with moulded copings to tower,
chamfered top elsewhere. Nave with north aisle and slightly lower chancel with north
vestry and chapel, two stage tower to west end of north nave aisle. Gabled west
elevation of nave has central deeply moulded four-centred arched doorcase with crocketed
ogee head and stepped C14 style crocketed side pilasters. Above figure of saint in
crocketed gabled niche with crocketed side pilasters, and above again, a rose window in
chamfered surround. Recessed to north is C15 tower which has full height stepped diagonal
buttresses to northern corners, and to west a 2-light four-centred arched mullioned window
with pointed lights, set in deep chamfered surround and with hoodmould over, with carved
labelstops. Above is a clockface, similar clockface to east side. Above again, four-
centred arched Y-traceried louvred bell openings, set in chamfered surround with hood-
mould over with finely carved labelstops. Similar bell openings to other sides.
Moulded stringcourse over and embattled parapets with ridgeback copings, crocketed
corner pinnacles and corner gargoyles. North elevation has small pointed window to
base of tower and bell opening above. Beyond to east,nave aisle with flat headed 3-light
north window, set in cavetto moulded recess, with trefoil headed lights and incised
spandrels. Projecting bay beyond to east with four-centred arched cavetto moulded
doorcase with flat hood to west and flat headed 3-light window with pointed lights and
incised spandrels to east side. North chapel to east has flat headed cusped 2-light
panel tracery window and beyond north vestry has ogee headed doorcase to north and
adjoining cusped pair of lancets to east elevation. East window is 3-light with
reticulated tracery and hoodmould. South chancel elevation has one single light and
one 2-light flat headed cusped ogee traceried window with pierced spandrels, that to
west 2-light. Nave elevation to east has stepped buttress to east corner, and to west
three 3-light flat headed windows with trefoil headed lights and pierced spandrels,
linked by continuous hoodmould. To west, two shallower flat headed 2-light windows
with pointed lights and pierced spandrels, one above the other. All openings to nave
and south elevation of chancel of 1907. Interior has three bay C19 north arcade with
octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double cavetto moulded arches, to west end of
which is the base of the tower with tall double chamfered arches to east and south
side. Chancel arch also has double chamfered arch, with soffit supported by two
moulded corbels. North chapel has continuous moulded pointed western arch and a
chamfered flat arch through to the chancel. All roofs date from 1907 and all but north
chapel roof are barrel vaulted Both the north chapel and the chancel roofs have
additional ribs and carved bosses, and are painted. Chapel and chancel also both have
carved wooden screens to west and in the arch between. Chancel is completely painted
with carved oak reredos and panelling to east, plain choir stalls with fleur de lys
poppyheads and carved pulpit to south. West end of church has wooden organ gallery with
screened entrance lobby below. Gallery has painted coats of arms to east side. To
north, tower has small four-centred arched doorcase to stair turret in north-west corner
and to centre a circular C13 font on C19 base,covered by C19 or early C20 weighted
font cover. Plain C20 nave pews. Wall memorials mostly early C19 of slate with white
marble surrounds, but there are also two brass memorials with green marble surrounds to
the Harrisons of Snelston Hall, and one white marble one of 1699 to Sara, daughter of
Robert Docksey, wife of Francisci Evans. Tower also has brass charity plaque of 1805
inscribed with 'Bolds Annual Donations'. West tower window with stained glass by
W Tower, east window has similar style stained glass. North chapel window of 1949 by

Listing NGR: SK1554043332

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.