This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9195 / 52°55'10"N
Longitude: -1.7313 / 1°43'52"W
OS Eastings: 418163
OS Northings: 335825
OS Grid: SK181358
Mapcode National: GBR 49W.TB2
Mapcode Global: WHCFK.CWT5
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 13 September 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109778
English Heritage Legacy ID: 81236
Location: Boylestone, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Boylestone
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Boylestone St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 13 NE PARISH OF BOYLESTON THE HOLLOW
5/6 (South Side)
13.9.67 Church of St John the Baptist
Parish church. Early C14, C15, restored in 1844 by Henry Duesbury. Ashlar sandstone
with sandstone dressings. Slate roofs with lapped stone copings and moulded kneelers
and ridge crosses to nave gables. Plinth, and plain parapets rising straight up from
the walls with ridgeback copings to south aisle and south side of nave. Church has
nave with south aisle and lower chancel, also south-western tower between aisle and
nave. Nave western gable wall has stepped diagonal buttresses either side and two
C19 adjoining central pointed windows, each 2-light with quatrefoil over trefoil
headed lights. Continuous hoodmoulds over and sill band below. Above, in gable, a
small blocked trefoil headed lancet with hoodmould. North elevation has blocked,
pointed doorcase, now covered by stone crypt,and small pointed window just below the
eaves to west. Two stepped buttresses with Y-tracery window with hoodmould between to
east. Beyond to east, large C19 3-light pointed window with panel-type tracery.
Stepped buttress to east end of nave,and beyond two similar, lower ones to chancel,
with C14 pointed 2-light window with quatrefoil over trefoil headed lights to west.
East window Perp with segment headed cusped lights and hoodmould over with carved
labelstops. To either side corner buttresses. South chancel elevation has similar
C14 window to north chancel elevation,to east and moulded pointed C14 doorcase to
west beyond a stepped buttress. Two adjoining chamfered lancets beyond to west.
Cusped Y-tracery nave aisle east window with hoodmould and carved labelstops, and
two C14 2-light windows, similar to north chancel window to south wall of aisle.
Buttress between and diagonal buttresses to either corner of aisle. To west-end of
aisle is a three stage C19 tower,with chamfered four-centred arched doorcase under
continuous hoodmould to west. Attached to south,a projecting staircase turret with
similar doorcase to south and small slit windows over. Above, trefoil headed lancets
to all sides with continuous sill band and clockface over southern lancet. In third
stage each side has two chamfered adjoining louvred lancet bell openings with
continuous hoodmoulds and flanking pilasters. Moulded eaves cornice over and scooped
pyramidal stone spire with lucarnes to each side. Interior has early C14 two bay
arcade with double chamfered arches and polygonal piers with moulded capitals and
bases. C19 pointed chancel arch with attached columns and moulded capitals. C19
roofs to chancel and nave except for C16 tiebeam with carved central boss in nave
and part of the original tiebeam in chancel incorporated in newer roof, inscribed
with date 1595. Chancel has C19 stained glass east window, c1888 carved oak reredos,
deeply moulded pointed C14 tomb niche with hoodmould to north and small chamfered
piscina to east wall. 1844 box pews to north side of nave and later C19 pews to
south. Mid C20 timber screen to west end of nave, making separate vestry. C14
octagonal font and various stone wall memorials in chancel and nave, including one
of c1778 to Thomas Chawner and family to north side of nave.
Listing NGR: SK1816335825
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings