This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.491 / 52°29'27"N
Longitude: -2.9979 / 2°59'52"W
OS Eastings: 332338
OS Northings: 288592
OS Grid: SO323885
Mapcode National: GBR B6.J2LG
Mapcode Global: VH75X.ZNG7
Entry Name: Malt House Harp Yard
Listing Date: 29 June 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109939
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469433
Location: Bishop's Castle, Shropshire, SY9
Civil Parish: Bishop's Castle
Built-Up Area: Bishop's Castle
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bishop's Castle
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO3288 BISHOPS CASTLE CHURCH STREET
498/12/10004 Malt House, Harp Yard
Brew house, now store house. Dated 1822 on stone to front with later additions and alterations. Stone rubble with pinkish-brown brick extension at front to right, render to left return of main range; slate roof and brick stack to rear at right; oak and larch shutters. Main range has 2 storeys with attic, range to left has one-and-a-half storeys. Left range has part-glazed door. Main range has central entrance a plank door, to left a replacement multi-pane window with original frame and shutters; to right a replacement casement window in elliptically-arched surround. First floor has opening with multi-pane, renewed window and shutters; plank pitching door; further opening with shutters. Attic has two openings with shutters. Left range has opening with plank shutter; main range has casement window to left gable; exposed purlins. Rear has two window openings, one to each range.
INTERIOR. Main range: ground floor has four chamfered, rough-hewn transverse beams and exposed rafters, York stone flags to floor; first floor has three exposed rough-hewn transverse beams, bressummer beam across corner for chimney, first-floor window has original sill; second floor has winding gear and trap door, corner fireplace with brick elliptical arch, further winding gear and trap door; roof has one level of rough-hewn purlins and exposed rafters, collar beam. Left range has exposed rafters and one level of purlins to roof.
Historical note: it is thought that ale was brewed here from 1822 to c1960. The local brewing process used boilers and kilns; "brewing equipment" from the building was sold c1860. This brew house served the Harp Inn, one of the oldest established inns in Bishop's Castle, now known as Harp House (q.v.). Brew houses are known locally as malt houses'.
Listing NGR: SO3233288562
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings