This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5355 / 52°32'7"N
Longitude: -1.8759 / 1°52'33"W
OS Eastings: 408512
OS Northings: 293082
OS Grid: SP085930
Mapcode National: GBR 35M.GY
Mapcode Global: VH9YQ.FJML
Entry Name: The Public Library
Listing Date: 29 June 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109946
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469443
Location: Birmingham, B44
Electoral Ward/Division: Kingstanding
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Perry Barr
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP 09 SE BIRMINGHAM COLLEGE ROAD
(north side), Perry Common
3/10204 The Public Library
Includes: The Public Library, HAWTHORN ROAD Perry Common
Public Library. 1934 by J P Osbourne for Birmingham City Council. Red brick on steel frame. Fan-shaped plan on corner site, mainly of one storey with raised central area over issue desk, but with second storey to front and sides not visible externally. Roof not seen. Concave front to corner with central, original timber outer doors with bronze knockers in fluted stone surround under round brick arch and keystone. The tympanum has stone reliefs of the lamp of knowledge flanked by books. Splayed side walls with seven small paned windows under gauged brick heads with keystone. The interior survives remarkably completely. Octagonal entrance hall with cream and green tiles, and art deco style ceiling with concealed lighting trough. Terrazzo floor under carpet. Original metal windows and timber doors lead in and out of the main lending library. 1934 issue desk, whence are sightlines round the fan-shaped library space, with original bookstacks placed radially and against walls. Lower wing has children's library with original bookcases; the opposite wing was formerly the reading room and is now the community room, with panelling. Simple but stylised timber stair leads to staff areas on first floor. Single-storey staff range at rear has curved corridor with green tiled walls. Included as a deceptively elaborate and complete example of a 1930s' public library. The art deco entrance hall and number of surviving original fittings are most unusual.
Listing NGR: SP0851293082
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings