This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8469 / 50°50'48"N
Longitude: -2.1552 / 2°9'18"W
OS Eastings: 389168
OS Northings: 105271
OS Grid: ST891052
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZH.V81
Mapcode Global: FRA 66CV.Q68
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110176
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103284
Location: Blandford St. Mary, Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Blandford St. Mary
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Blandford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
BIANDFORD ST MARYLOWER
ST 80 NE LOWER BLANDFORD
5/3 Church of St Mary
Parish Church, C14 west tower, C15 chancel; south aisle and porch 1837; north
aisle and transept 1862; vestry 1908. Rubble, banded flint and rubble and
chequerwork flint and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slated and tiled roofs
with end stone copings. Plan; nave; chancel; west tower; south aisle and
porch; north aisle, transept and vestry. Both medieval and C19 work mainly
in the Perpendicular style. West tower: 3-stage, embattled and unbuttressed
with moulded strings; C19 south door with chamfered, 4-centred head; west
window of 2 pointed lights; single-light belfry windows with chamfered,
pointed heads. South aisle windows are pointed, of 2-lights and have labels
with carved foliage stops. Chancel south wall has an original 2-light square
headed window with stopped label west and a C19 single light window with
carved stopped label. Central, blocked, pointed chamfered door. East chancel
and north transept windows are C19, pointed, of 3-lights with carved foliage
labels. Vestry has 2-light, square headed windows and pointed, chamfered door.
North aisle has 2 trefoiled lancets north and a 2-light perpendicular west
window. Porch is gabled with a chamfered, pointed arch and a label with carved
stops. The south door is pointed and moulded with continuous jambs.
Internally the south arcade is of 3 bays with pointed, moulded arches, round
columns with moulded capitals and bases. The north aisle arcade is similar,
of 2 bays with simpler mouldings. Pointed transept arch with respond piers.
Pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders springing from corbels. Pointed
tower arch of 2 chamfered orders. Nave and south aisle have plastered waggon
roof. Chancel has ribbed waggon roof; transept has collar-truss roof. C19
carved wooden reredos with ogee-headed niches. Communion rails with carved
vine scrollwork. Ogee headed trefoil piscina. C19 open traceried pulpit.
Fielded panel pews possibly incorporating C18 woodwork. C19 octagonal font
with quatrefoils and trefoiled panels. Various C17, C18 and C19 monuments
including one of 1758 to Francis Cartwright the architect.
(R.C.H.M. Dorset, vol. III, p.40/1, no. 1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N.
The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.101.)
Listing NGR: ST8916805271
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings