This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9192 / 50°55'8"N
Longitude: -2.3678 / 2°22'4"W
OS Eastings: 374240
OS Northings: 113364
OS Grid: ST742133
Mapcode National: GBR 0X3.862
Mapcode Global: FRA 56XP.5B5
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Thomas A'beckett
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Last Amended: 8 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110465
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102557
Location: Lydlinch, North Dorset, Dorset, DT10
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Lydlinch
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Lydlinch St Thomas a Beckett
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
In the entry for
LYDLINCH HOLBROOK LANE (west)
Table tomb to anonymous
lady, 3m south of south
porch of St Thomas A'
The map item reference shall be amended to read:- 4/56
LYDLINCH HOLBROOK LANE (WEST)
ST 71 SW
4/56 Parish Church of St
Thomas A'Becket (formerly
listed as Church of St
Thomas of Canterbury)
Parish Church, C 15 west tower, nave and chancel, C16 north aisle and south porch,
early C 19 north vestry, north aisle and general restoration, further restoration
1875. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; slated, gable-ended roof to nave, tiled
gable ended roof to chancel. Plan: Nave with west tower, south porch and north
aisle, Chancel with vestry. Mainly in perpendicular style. West tower of 3 stages
separated by string courses having plinth,diagonal buttresses, a north east
rectangular vice turret with loops and an embattled parapet with finials. Upper string
course bears gargoyles. West door has 4-centred moulded head with continuously
moulded jambs. Above is a 3-light window with panel tracery under a 2-centred head
with returned label. 2nd stage has a single west lancet and small quatrefoil
east. In the third stage each side has 2-light, panel tracery windows with returned
labels. Clock faces to north and east. East chancel window of 3-lights with panel
tracery under a two centred arch. North and south chancel windows of 2-lights under
square heads. The nave has 2 C19, 3-light, panel tracery windows under 2-centred
heads and a single light window right. The north wall of the north aisle has 2 3-
light square headed windows and the west wall has a C16 2-light window under a
square head. The south porch is gabled with a slated roof and bears a churchwarden's
inscription dated 1753 with a sundial above. The arch has a moulded 4-centred head
with continuous jambs. External square set buttresses to south nave wall and north
aisle wall. Internally there is a 2 bay nave arcade with chamfered 4-centred arches
and octagonal centre pier. Tower arch is 2-centred with double casement moulding
and continuous jambs. Chancel arch is 2-centred and has a moulded tie-bearing a cross
C 19 gallery to rear of nave with eusped rectangular panelling. Roofs- nave has tie
beam trusses with vertical tracery, chancel has wagon roof and north aisle has
sloping plastered ceiling. South door of nailed planks on wrought iron strap hinges.
Font: late C12 with square bowl with decorated panels on large central shaft with
small corner shafts on chamfered base. Pews and pulpit C19. Some reset early glass.
Monuments: Floor slab dated 1661, wall tablets of C18, C19, and C20 "RCHM, Dorset,
Vol III", p 137, no 1. Newman J amd Pevsner N. "The Buildings of England, Dorset"
Penguin 1972, p 258.
Listing NGR: ST7424013364
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings