History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fowler's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Cold Norton, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6638 / 51°39'49"N

Longitude: 0.6585 / 0°39'30"E

OS Eastings: 583956

OS Northings: 199462

OS Grid: TQ839994

Mapcode National: GBR QMW.R93

Mapcode Global: VHJKK.CFGV

Entry Name: Fowler's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 30 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1110866

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117374

Location: Cold Norton, Maldon, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Cold Norton

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Cold Norton St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Woodham Ferrers

Listing Text

TQ 89 NW
(east side)
4/11 Fowler's Farmhouse
­ II

House. C17, extended in C18/C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. 2 bays facing SW, with rear stack in left bay and
service wing beyond, and C19 internal stack at right end. C18/C19 lean-to
extension in rear right angle. Large C20 extension to left, connected to main
building by single-storey link. One storey with attics. 2 C20 casements and 2
more in flat-roofed dormers. C20 door in link section. Gambrel roof at front,
normal pitch at rear of main building and on service wing. In right bay,
chamfered axial beam (mutilated at right end, stops at other end concealed by
inserted stair), with plain joists of large vertical section to rear of it, and
chamfered joists of vertical section with lamb's tongue stops in front of it (2
replaced), jointed to beam with soffit tenons with diminished haunches. In left
bay, chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops, joist renewed. Clasped
purlin roof, with some re-used smoke-blackened rafters from a medieval hall. 2
wood-burning hearths in left stack, the front hearth reduced for a C20 grate,
the rear hearth adapted to a stove. The name derives from John Fowler, who held
a messuage and 60 acres in 1532. By 1701 the holding had been increased to 70
acres, including land in the parish of North Fambridge.

Listing NGR: TQ8395699462

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.