This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7706 / 51°46'14"N
Longitude: 0.6897 / 0°41'23"E
OS Eastings: 585679
OS Northings: 211418
OS Grid: TL856114
Mapcode National: GBR QLL.TFV
Mapcode Global: VHJJZ.XR0H
Entry Name: Willie Almshouses and Chapel
Listing Date: 8 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111057
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118973
Location: Great Totham, Maldon, Essex, CM9
Civil Parish: Great Totham
Built-Up Area: Wickham Bishops
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Totham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/05/2018
TL 81 SE
Nos 2 to 8, and 8a to 12 (even)
Willie Almshouses and Chapel
(Formerly listed as Willie Almshouses and Chapel, SCHOOL ROAD)
Two rows of almshouses with a small chapel at north east angle. Dated 1855. For William and Louisa Gooday. Red brick with some black brick diapering. Grey slate roofs, the chapel roof with plain and fish scale striations. L-plan. Single storey with later rear lean-to extensions.
Four Almshouses and the Chapel back onto School Road with a similar pair forward right of chapel. All face a garden courtyard with central lawn. Two red brick chimney stacks with attached diagonal shafts to left range, one similar stack to right range. Dentilled eaves cornices. Angle buttresses and one buttress to Chapel. Eight two light small paned casements with moulded centre mullions and four vertically boarded doors with segmental arches to left range. Four similar windows and two doors to right range. Stone plaque to left gable inscribed: "The Willie Almshouses. These almshouses were built by William Gooday and Louisa his wife 1855".
The courtyard face of corner chapel has a vertically boarded door with segmental pointed arch to surround and attached diagonal shaft chimney stack to right. Dentilled eaves cornice. Three stone graduated leaded lancet windows to east gable wall, angle buttress to road. Two three leaded light windows under square heads with stone mullions and dressings. Right vertically boarded door with ornate iron hinges, chamfered brick surround with segmental pointed head. To right gable apex is a stone dressed red brick open bell cote with pointed arched head, bell on cross bar. Below the bell cote is a clock under a segmental pointed arch. An attractive and unusual group in this area.
Listing NGR: TL8567911418
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings