History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade I Listed Building in Little Braxted, Witham, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8009 / 51°48'3"N

Longitude: 0.6608 / 0°39'38"E

OS Eastings: 583561

OS Northings: 214714

OS Grid: TL835147

Mapcode National: GBR QLB.5VL

Mapcode Global: VHJJS.DZPS

Plus Code: 9F32RM26+98

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 30 December 1959

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111066

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118991

Location: Little Braxted, Maldon, Essex, CM8

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Little Braxted

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Wickham Bishops St Bartholomew, St Nicholas, Little Braxted

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Wickham Bishops

Listing Text


3/174 Church of St. Nicholas



Parish church. C12 with later and C19 alterations. Flint rubble and
puddingstone, limestone dressings. Timber framed and plastered west gable apex.
Weatherboarded bell turret with shingle roof. Red plain tiled roofs with ornate
cross to east ridge. A small building 45 ft x 16 ft of C12 Nave and apsidal
chancel. The Apse has 3 windows, the northern a small C12 single light with
round head, eastern 2 light segmental pointed head, probably C19, southern a
restored single light with 2 centred head. Nave south wall has a C12 restored
single light window and a single light C20 window. West wall with angle
buttresses and 2 restored C13 lancet windows. C19 cambered tie beam to gable
with billet moulding, 3 curved bracing panels and central glazed roundel. North
wall segmental headed 2 light window with tracery over. Vertical slit over.
C19 north aisle, west window, reset C15 cinquefoil 2 light window with square
head and label, 2 single light windows to north wall. Reset in east wall a
restored C13 round headed window and restored C14 doorway with moulded label and
head stops. Stone plaque adjacent to door dated 1851. Timber decoration to
gable apex. Tile band. C19 gabled south porch with flint rubble plinth and
timber supports. Carved tie beam "Watch and Pray". 2 centre arched doorway
with flint flushwork over and tile inscribed: IHS and Crown. Vertically boarded
door with ornate hinges. Interior. Apse roof C19 incorporating old timber.
Scissor braced with ashlar posts and chamfered wall plates. One tiebeam. C15
Nave roof of 2 bays, collars to every rafter pair, side purlins over. 2 pairs
of arched braces to side purlins. 3 collars with arched bracing, all roof
timbers C19 painted. Bell turret with sunk chamfered storey posts and braces to
tie beam. 5 pairs of scissor braced rafters with side struts. C19 Chancel
arcade of 3 bays with sunk chamfered pillars and segmental pointed arches.
Piscina, probably C14 with trefoiled head and C19 moulded and angled drain. C19
pulpit, crenellated, with traceried side panels, support columns with moulded
bases and foliate capitals, C19 2 centred and trefoil head painted panels to
reredos carry through to encompass stained glass east window with cusping,
tracery and pinnacles over. C19 trefoiled altar rails the columns between with
moulded capitals and bases. C19 choir stalls with pierced carving. Floor slab
- Thomas Roberts 1680 with shield and arms. No Chancel Arch. A crenellated
tie beam with enriched ogee arched braces supports the rood. Chancel screen has
low central double gates to right and left of which are crenellated, traceried
and crocketed candle holders, 4 cusped segmental arches with 7 shields between
rope and vine carving. Brass William, Joyce and Margaret Roberts 1508. Nave.
Chamfered base and central columns support the C19 painted octagonal font, with
8 black marble columns. Red and black C19 tiled floor throughout. The Church
is remarkable for its wealth of C19 paintings which cover walls, roof timbers
etc. The work of the Rev. E. Geldart 1881-1900 who resigned the living due to
ill health and henceforth concentrated on architecture, in particular church
furnishings, fittings and embroideries. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL8356114714

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.