This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.806 / 51°48'21"N
Longitude: 0.6892 / 0°41'21"E
OS Eastings: 585499
OS Northings: 215344
OS Grid: TL854153
Mapcode National: GBR QL6.M31
Mapcode Global: VHJJS.WVQX
Entry Name: Braxted Park House
Listing Date: 30 December 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118890
Location: Great Braxted, Maldon, Essex, CM8
Civil Parish: Great Braxted
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Braxted All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 81 NE GREAT BRAXTED BRAXTED PARK ROAD
2/46 Braxted Park House
House. C17 origin, reconstructed to designs of Robert Taylor circa 1752-59 and
enlargements by John Johnson Circa 1804-06. Various work by local artisans,
James Brown and Matthew Hall late C18. Restorations for Plessey Company about
1950 when an Adam style ceiling was inserted in the Saloon and a copy ceiling
from one at Shardeloes, Bucks inserted in the main bedroom. Red brick built.
Stone coping to parapet. Cornice and central band. Grey slate roofs, hipped to
right and left forward wings. 7 red brick chimney stacks visible from front
face. 2 storeys and attics. 2:9:2 window range of octagonal paned vertically
sliding sashes. 5 matching window ranges to inner wing returns, excepting
blocked ground and first floor to second bay and alcoves to fifth bay of left
wing return, alcoves to ground and first floor 3rd bay and first floor fifth bay
of right wing return. Central double doors of 5 panels. Flat roofed stucco
surround, capitals and bases to pilasters, metopes and triglyphs to frieze,
Moulded cornice. To rear right a flat roofed extension with matching octagonal
window. Interior contains much fine detail including arcaded main hall,
wreathed baluster to curved iron foliate baluster rails. Moulded surrounds to
doors and windows. Reveal shutters to windows, some 6 panel some octagonal
panel doors. Friezes to some doors. Fine saloon and master bedroom. Some
panelling. Good fireplaces, Jacobean and Adam style. Stick staircase. Fine C20
library with curved panelling, hidden doors and gun case. The house stands in a
park of about 500 acres with a fine lake of 15 acres crossed by a bridge q.v.
2/55 and with a Cave/Ice House q.v.2/58 and Summerhouse at its western end. The
park is entirely walled in red brick q.v.l, 2,4/59. There are 6 lodge cottages
q.v.4/61,2,3 & 4 1/60 & 2/72 and various garden features q.v.2/58, 56, 52 etc.
The house was owned by the Darcy family C17 and the Du Cane family from circa
1751-1919 (Braxted Lodge - Nancy Briggs M.A., Essex Journal July 1970).
Listing NGR: TL8550015341
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings