History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hammonds Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Stapleford Abbotts, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6505 / 51°39'1"N

Longitude: 0.1631 / 0°9'47"E

OS Eastings: 549747

OS Northings: 196846

OS Grid: TQ497968

Mapcode National: GBR RK.PSH

Mapcode Global: VHHMT.SS33

Entry Name: Hammonds Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111158

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118694

Location: Stapleford Abbotts, Epping Forest, Essex, RM4

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Stapleford Abbotts

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stapleford Abbotts

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Theydon Bois

Listing Text

2/17 Hammonds Farmhouse

House, C16, extended in C18. Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. S crosswing of 2 bays remaining from a hall house
of which the remainder has been replaced, early C16, with external chimney stack
to S, early C17. 2-bay main range on site of hall, later C16, with axial
chimney stack in N bay, c.1600. N crosswing extending to W with internal
chimney stack, C18. Stair tower in SW angle with single-storey lean-to
extension beyond. Aspect E. 2 storeys with attic. 6-panel door with'4 panels
glazed in simple doorcase with shallow hood, late C18. 3 pairs of double-hung
sash windows of 9 lights, early C19. First floor, one similar pair, one double
hung sash window of 12 lights, early C19, and one wrought iron casement, C17,
with rectangular leaded glass. Gablet at S end of roof, formed by main range
extending over lower crosswing. Hipped dormer with C20 casement window.
Grouped diagonal shafts on'main stack. N wing hipped. Some framing exposed
internally. Jowled posts. S crosswing only has curved tension braces trenched
to inside of studs, plain-chamfered bridging beam with step stops, arched mantel
beam with shallow moulding. The N end of the main range has been used as a
'smoke bay' (although structurally it is not a whole bay), leaving smoke-
blackening in that part of the roof a short phase in the later C16 before the
brick chimney stack was inserted in the same position, c.1600. Interior of
ground floor hearth plastered but not reduced in size.

Listing NGR: TQ4974796846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.