This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8445 / 51°50'40"N
Longitude: 1.0083 / 1°0'29"E
OS Eastings: 607314
OS Northings: 220489
OS Grid: TM073204
Mapcode National: GBR SNW.9QM
Mapcode Global: VHKG7.FWDW
Plus Code: 9F33R2V5+Q8
Entry Name: Alresford Hall
Listing Date: 21 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120135
Location: Alresford, Tendring, Essex, CO7
Civil Parish: Alresford
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Alresford St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
ALRESFORD OFF FORD LANE
TM 02 SE (east side)
3/1 ALRESFORD PARK
21.2.50 Alresford Hall
House. Early C18 of earlier origin. Red brick with black headers. Red plain tiled
roofs, hipped to central range. Forward left and right gabled wings. Red brick
chimney stacks to left and right of wings and rear right of main range. An earlier
red brick chimney stack in English bond now incorporated in rear left wall. Various
rear ranges. 2 storeys and attics. 4 square headed dormers to central range.
Raised centre to parapet, moulded stone coping and cornice. Moulded stone pediments
and cornices to wings. 1:7:1 window range of small paned vertically sliding sashes,
brick segmental heads to first floor. Ground floor wings each with tall 4-light
windows with glazing bars, central range 3:3 tall windows with glazing bars, brick
segmental heads. Later central red brick flat headed porch, moulded timber doorway.
Glazed door, round headed fanlight over. Interior contains may panelled doors with
moulded architraves, moulded wainscots etc. Simple panel plastering and fluted
pilasters to main front room. Moulded ceiling cornices. Panelled shutters to
windows. Inlaid parquet floor to front room. Several marble and coloured stone
fireplaces, one with urns and fluting. Fireplace from elsewhere with carved wood
birds, lions and fruit. Some good cast iron grates. Arches to hall and landing.
Moulded string and turned balusters to staircase. The Alresford Estate was
purchased in 1720 by Captain Matthew Martin, a director of the East India Company
who had carried a £200,000 cargo, in the Indiaman "Marlborough", through a French
squadron and was awarded £1,000 by the East India Company for this achievement, he
owned property in Wivenhoe and was twice MP for Colchester. "Kelly's Directory"
1912, "Essex at Work" A F J Brown (1969).
Listing NGR: TM0731420489
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings