This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8103 / 51°48'37"N
Longitude: 1.0286 / 1°1'42"E
OS Eastings: 608870
OS Northings: 216746
OS Grid: TM088167
Mapcode National: GBR TQM.GVQ
Mapcode Global: VHKGF.SR4L
Entry Name: Jacobes Hall
Listing Date: 18 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111438
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120174
Location: Brightlingsea, Tendring, Essex, CO7
Civil Parish: Brightlingsea
Built-Up Area: Brightlingsea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Brightlingsea All Saints with St James
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
BRIGHTLINGSEA HIGH STREET
TM 0816-0916 (south side)
8/47 Jacobes Hall
Hall house with crosswings to left and right. C15. Restored circa 1919.
Exposed timber frame. Red plain tiled roofs. Off centre left and end right
chimney stacks to hall. Central stack to right crosswing and to rear of left
crosswing. The originally jettied crosswings now underbuilt. 2 storeys and
attics. Hipped dormer to right of hall. 1:1:1 window range of vari-light C20
glazing. 4 centre arched doorway to left of hall. Exposed halved arched braces
to first floor of crosswings and blocked mullions to crosswings. An interesting
feature is the C15/C16 red brick semi hexagonal stair turret at the angle of the
hall and right crosswing. it is crenellated with 3 bands of trefoiled
corbelling. The pyramidal capping shows signs of crocketting. There is a 2
light window under a square head at eaves level. The right return of right
crosswing has 3 panelled doors, surrounds with flat canopies, similar doorway to
left crosswing return. Original mullion windows now blocked to main frame. 2
storeys. The good quality heavy timber frame is virtually complete with the
first floor of the hall inserted C15/C16. Halved arched braces to walls. Arched
braces to tie beams, those to crosswings supporting 2 armed crown posts. The
hall octagonal crown post with moulded capital and base. C.A. Hewitt suggests a
date of circa 1460-70 for this. Original doors with 4 centred heads, one with
foliated spandrels. The inserted hall ceiling with moulded ceiling beams, main
beams carved with twisted leaves and foliate stops. Moulded and crenellated
wall plates. Large inglenook fireplaces that to east with a moulded lintel with
foliate spandrels. Known to have been the home of the Beriff family whose
memorial brasses in All Saints Church, Brightlingsea are dated circa 1496 to
circa 1578. A Cl9 shop was erected between the crosswings and was demolished
circa 1919 when the building was restored by Mr. Henry Havelock. E.P. Dicken
History of Brightlingsea, 1913. C.A. Hewitt English Historic Carpentry, 1980.
Listing NGR: TM0887016746
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings