History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Merchistoun Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Horndean, Hampshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9112 / 50°54'40"N

Longitude: -1.0053 / 1°0'18"W

OS Eastings: 470030

OS Northings: 112880

OS Grid: SU700128

Mapcode National: GBR BBV.YF1

Mapcode Global: FRA 86SP.N60

Entry Name: Merchistoun Hall

Listing Date: 20 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111761

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354806

Location: Horndean, East Hampshire, Hampshire, PO8

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Horndean

Built-Up Area: Horndean

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Catherington All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


9/29 Merchistoun Hall


House. Early C19 house, with internal alterations of c1830 and with late C19 concert
hall extension and 1920s service wing. Stuccoed with incised lines to imitate
masonry and hipped slate roof (with 5 hips to rear). Cemented chimneystacks.
2 storeys. 5 windows. Five 1920s mullioned and transomed casements with leaded
lights replacing 9-pane sashes on first floor. Taller mullioned and transomed
windows to ground floor but some may originally have been French windows. Central
doorcase retains early C19 fanlight with rectangular moulded architrave, fans in
corners and round-headed fanlight with thin Gothic glazing bars. C20 door. Later
C19 colonnade of 12 Tuscan columns and 1920s tiled roof sweeping round side
elevation where there are 4 columns. Left side elevation has 2 French windows to
ground floor. Right side elevation has a French window with original shutters and
2 first floor C19 casements. Later C19 stuccoed concert hall extension with slate
roof to north west and 1920s painted brick service wing to north east. Interior
contains a hall with two c1830 6-panelled doors with reeded surrounds with lions
mask paterae and arched reeded entrance to staircase hall, also reeded, with lions
head paterae and elliptical fanlight with 6-panelled double doors. Fine early C19
well staircase with 3 iron stick balusters to each tread and every third tread has
iron balusters with paterae. Scrolled tread ends and mahogany handrail. 3 early
C19 6-panelled doors to ground floor of staircase hall, 1 on half landing and six
to first floor. Some 1920s mantelpieces, not of special interest. The earliest
reference to the building is of 1804 when the land is known to have been owned by
a Joseph Franklin. Between 1812 and 1836 it was known as Quallet's Grove and was
owned by Colonel James Conway. Between 1836 and 1860 it was the home of Admiral
Sir Charles Napier famous for the Battle of Cape Vincent in 1833 and for the capture
of Acre. The house was renamed Merchistoun Hall after his birthplace in

Listing NGR: SU7002112883

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.