This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6781 / 51°40'40"N
Longitude: 0.8759 / 0°52'33"E
OS Eastings: 598930
OS Northings: 201614
OS Grid: TL989016
Mapcode National: GBR SQN.L9Q
Mapcode Global: VHKH4.42FY
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 30 December 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111784
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119256
Location: Dengie, Maldon, Essex, CM0
Civil Parish: Dengie
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Dengie
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 90 SE DENGIE ASHELDHAM ROAD
5/88 Church of St. James
Parish church. Nave and Chancel appear to have been rebuilt C14. Nave walls
may be of earlier date. C19 south porch, north vestry and bellcote. Septaria,
flint rubble, Roman brick and C14 yellow brick. Red plain tiled roofs. East
wall, angle buttresses. C19 east window with C14 rear splays and re-set rear
arch, of 3 cusped lights with 3 quatrefoils over, 2 centre arched head label
with head stops. Chancel, C19 with some C14 material north and south single
light windows, scissor tracery 2 centre arched heads, labels with head stops.
C19 moulded 2 centre arched south doorway, label and head stops, to west of
which is a small low set single light window with segmental head, label and head
stops, splays and rear arch probably C14. Nave, south wall buttressed at
angles. Two 2 light windows with pointed quatrefoils, 2 centre arched heads,
labels and head stops, 2 similar windows to north wall, all much restored C14 as
is the now blocked north doorway with similar arch and plain label. C19 south
doorway. Gabled porch with angle buttresses and moulded pointed segmental arched
doorway, sidelights of 3 ogee lights, segmental head, label and head stops.
West wall restored C14 window of 3 ogee lights with tracery over, ogee head,
label and head stops. Small, blocked C14 doorway with hollow chamfered jambs and
2 centre arched head. To gable apex a C19 stone bellcote, the chamfered base of
3 carved face corbels - 2 lions and a man, supporting 2 ogee arches, surmounted
by 2 chamfered 2 centre arches with quatrefoil over, breaking through the
pedimental head, bell to each arch. Ornate iron cross finial over. Interior.
Chancel. C19 scissor braced roof. Head stops to north and south windows. South
door head stops to 2 centre arched head. The circa 1880 ornately carved stone
reredos designed and executed by Rev. E Warmington M.A., incorporates piscina
and sedilia to north and south walls, the sedilia canopied, crocketed and
pinnacled, with carved bases, crocketed and pinnacled piscina on carved bases.
The 3 central reredos panels with gabled heads and illuminated panels painted by
Miss Warmington, trefoiled side panels. C19 twisted iron altar rails. 2 centre
arch with moulded label and head stops to north vestry. No Chancel arch. Nave.
C19 7 cant roof. C19 octagonal pulpit with traceried panels, octagonal stem.
Poppy heads to pews. Polygonal brick floor. Floor slab with indents for brasses
which are now framed on a wall board of 5 kneeling boys, 2 kneeling girls, a
woman with head-dress and dress girdle with 3 large buckles, said to be circa
1520. Font. Octagonal with chamfered rim and soffit, circular stem with
moulded base and head. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TL9893001614
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings