This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1513 / 52°9'4"N
Longitude: -2.8209 / 2°49'15"W
OS Eastings: 343931
OS Northings: 250649
OS Grid: SO439506
Mapcode National: GBR FF.6QWM
Mapcode Global: VH77S.2625
Entry Name: Barn About 60 Metres East North East of Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 February 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355167
Location: King's Pyon, County of Herefordshire, HR4
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: King's Pyon
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: King's Pyon
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
The following building shall be added to the list:-
SO 45 SW
Barn about 60 metres E.N.E.
of Church of St Mary
Barn. Probably early C13. Timber-framed on stone rubble plinth,
clad in weatherboarding and with a corrugated iron roof with
rounded gable ends.
PLAN: Surviving N.W. end bay of an aisled barn including both
aisles. The rest of the barn to the south east has been
demolished and replaced with an open-fronted cattle-shelter at
right angles to the original barn.
EXTERIOR: North west elevation is the original gable end, the
gable reduces to a curved profile roof, and clad in
weatherboarding. Similar south east gable but with posts, tie-
beam and braces exposed above later lean-to open-fronted cattle
INTERIOR: Surviving frame includes:- 4 jowled arcade and 4
aisle posts (NW aisle post a replacement) with their braces and
trenches for halved passing braces (two passing braces remain),
aisle and arcade plates, two large tie-beams, some studding,
rails and a storey-post in the NW end wall. The sole-plates have
been largely replaced. Part of the north east aisle wall of the
next bay also survives as the side wall of the later cattle
shelter. The roof above the tie-beams has been replaced.
NOTE: The land was held by the Convent of St Mary's of
Cormeilles at the Domesday Survey and from 1301 to 1336 it was
held by Sir Gerald de Eillesford and then passed to the Convent
of Wormsley. This is a rare example and possibly unique for
Herefordshire of an early medieval aisled barn.
Listing NGR: SO4393150649
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings