This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5286 / 51°31'43"N
Longitude: 0.7889 / 0°47'19"E
OS Eastings: 593545
OS Northings: 184767
OS Grid: TQ935847
Mapcode National: GBR RR4.289
Mapcode Global: VHKHN.MVD0
Entry Name: Garrison Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Horseshoe Barracks
Listing Date: 28 April 1986
Last Amended: 17 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1112689
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122955
Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS3
Electoral Ward/Division: Shoeburyness
Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: South Shoebury St Andrew with St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA CHAPEL ROAD
(south west side), Shoebury Garrison
28/4/86 Garrison Church of St Peter and St Paul, Horseshoe Barracks
Chapel and school at the British School of Gunnery, now church. 1866, by J Egan Roper. Polygonal ragstone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Gothic Revival, in a mixture of Early English and Decorated styles. PLAN: cruciform plan with nave, transepts, chancel and SE vestry. EXTERIOR: moulded plinth all round, and steep gables. E gable has angle buttresses, triple lancets with trefoils over the outer ones, paired trefoil-headed N side lights, and a left-hand lateral stack; the taller gable of the nave behind has N diagonal buttress, and the SE vestry gable has low right-hand paired trefoil-headed lights and a small lancet in the top of the gable. N transept gable has a hexafoil light in the top and lancets either side of an open timber gabled porch on a dwarf wall with arched braces, to a moulded 2-centre arched doorway with double cross-boarded door; 3-bay nave has 2-light plate tracery windows with quatrefoils, separated by buttresses. Coped W gable has a cross finial, a gabled stone porch with moulded 2-centre arched doorway and cross-boarded double doors, and lancets either side and above. S side as the N, with no transept porch. Steep nave roof has 3 louvred dormer vents and a diagonally-set square cupola with tall pyramidal roof near the W end. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted as having a collar truss roof with diagonal braces and 3 registers of purlins; chancel arch. 1889 reredos, marble font, octagonal pulpit. Memorials include one to an accidental explosion of 1885. Stained glass memorials mostly from 18908. HISTORY: with the garrison church at Gillingham, this is a good example of a combined church and school, and one of the most architecturally developed of barracks churches at this time. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: 1863-: CTR 357-358; Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).
Listing NGR: TQ9354584767
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings