This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9537 / 51°57'13"N
Longitude: 0.3435 / 0°20'36"E
OS Eastings: 561139
OS Northings: 230954
OS Grid: TL611309
Mapcode National: GBR NFB.HN7
Mapcode Global: VHHLK.W5Y3
Entry Name: Guildhall
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1112905
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122435
Location: Thaxted, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6
Civil Parish: Thaxted
Built-Up Area: Thaxted
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
THAXTED TOWN STREET
(North West Side)
TL 63SW: 5/144
Built between 1390 and 1410 for the Guild of Cutlers. Altered and restored in
early C18, circa 1910 and 1978. Timber framed and plastered with frame exposed
externally. Red plain tile, double range hipped roof. 3 storeys and cellars.
Ground floor forms open flagged market house with open timber ceiling, and heavy
cross beams, supported on great centre post. Cellar is original. 2 upper storeys
are jettied on 3 elevations with moulded bressumers, and curved brackets. First
floor has arcading of 2 centred arches. Roof is simple two armed crown posts
originally gabled to Town Street. North corner incorporates parish cage. (RCHM 9).
Listing NGR: TL6117130989
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings